How did it go today 21/11/09?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kpmum

Post by kpmum »

Firstly, I can't believe the same papers would be used for the second sitting. Can anyone reassure me that they are not please? It would really bother me if it were the same ones.

Anyway, that aside, DS said the same as the above really, English very hard, having to guess some answers and maths and VR harder than any previous years he'd used as practice. Also, he'd always had loads of time left when doing previous papers, but said he had no spare time. In fact, he said that he was literally putting a mark on the answer sheet for the last VR question as the bell went.

So pleased it's over - a huge relief all round. We are (as I guess everyone is) just so proud that he put in the preparation time over the last x months and that he was brave enough to take the test. Phew!
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

I can re-assure you the same papers are NOT used on the second date. My son was sick today so could not do it. Spoke to CSSE and the same papers are definitley not used. However, I am not sure how children will be compared when they have not sat the same test??
thort

Post by thort »

Hi can anyone tell me if the vr was longer than normal as my dd missed the last page ran out of time also how hard was the english
Bigbird

Post by Bigbird »

They are the same papers to my knowledge. The whole system makes me mad so this fact is just small fry!

I absolutely agree with your final point.
kpmum

Post by kpmum »

DS said VR was 80 questions, but harder than anything he'd done before. May explain why time ran out. Hope this helps.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

kpmum wrote:Firstly, I can't believe the same papers would be used for the second sitting. Can anyone reassure me that they are not please? It would really bother me if it were the same ones.

Anyway, that aside, DS said the same as the above really, English very hard, having to guess some answers and maths and VR harder than any previous years he'd used as practice. Also, he'd always had loads of time left when doing previous papers, but said he had no spare time. In fact, he said that he was literally putting a mark on the answer sheet for the last VR question as the bell went.

So pleased it's over - a huge relief all round. We are (as I guess everyone is) just so proud that he put in the preparation time over the last x months and that he was brave enough to take the test. Phew!
KP I cannot believe they are not the same papers but I think moving will be the expert on that.Even if they were, knowing the paper is about say purple aliens from the planet rhubarb (picking something unlikely here as a text), will not enable you to answer the questions any better anyway!

My two who are at the chelmsford school. Both had the same experience of the VR, as they usually had 10 mins + left.Whatever the questions are they take longer and seem harder than their practice.
However everyone will have felt the same and scores are standardised.

Good luck to you all.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Alexandra wrote:I can re-assure you the same papers are NOT used on the second date. My son was sick today so could not do it. Spoke to CSSE and the same papers are definitley not used. However, I am not sure how children will be compared when they have not sat the same test??
Standardisation will even out any slight discrepancies in level.Don't worry about that.Hope he is feeling better.
Alexandra

Post by Alexandra »

NO. Papers are definitely NOT the same on the second sitting - this came straight from the horses mouth
DA

Post by DA »

They do sit SAME papers, just like the KENT exams, but think about it, how many questions can the children recollect? It doesn't really matter whether or not they sit same papers. Afterall, some had already sat theirs in the morning!!
Bigbird

Post by Bigbird »

Has everyone else seen this article? I only saw it today and it frightened the pants off me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/200 ... vate-tutor