12 plus (" Where there is a will, there is always a way

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CCHSsmiley

Post by CCHSsmiley »

All GS take more children in year 9, but not many, this test is taken on year 8 and has a lit of harder stuff in it(espically maths) so it is worth asking the consourtium about this. It is unlikely you will be offered a place at SHSG for year 7 by the waiting list, appeals are usually unsuccesful but it's worth giving it a try, if you have the energy! I would aim for the year 9 entry but really it depends on you and your child.
moved

Post by moved »

CCHSsmiley wrote:All GS take more children in year 9, but not many, this test is taken on year 8 and has a lit of harder stuff in it(espically maths) so it is worth asking the consourtium about this. It is unlikely you will be offered a place at SHSG for year 7 by the waiting list, appeals are usually unsuccesful but it's worth giving it a try, if you have the energy! I would aim for the year 9 entry but really it depends on you and your child.
I am interested in how you know that all GS take more children in year 9 as this is contrary to the information that was given to me. I am aware that you teach, is it in a grammar? At SHSB only one place was on offer for the current year 9 entry and that was because a child left. They seemed very clear when I spoke to them regarding a pupil.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Ok, thought this might also help. I happened to teach someone wanting to pass 12 plus exams for Westcliff Girls earlier this year.

She is currently in Year 7.

She was told, in a letter dated early January 2010 from Westcliff Girls, that she had to sit a set of exams. They did not tell her exactly when the exams would be.

Then in early April 2010, the school wrote to her again and told her that exams would be on April 30. They specifically told her in that second letter that she would be tested on Science, maths, English, VR and NVR.

I believe it was a CATS test that she eventually took. I confirm the tests contain a mixture of VR, NVR, maths, Science and English questions. She found the English very difficult (but then again, when I taught her, we managed to cover only maths, VR, NVR and Science with very little English thrown in within that short timeframe plus English was not exactly her strong subject).

She will get her results at the end of this term. She has said that around twenty odd people turned up for the tests.

I am not a tutor by profession. I have been asked by people I know to help teach their children, only because I am successful teaching my own (thank god for this!). I do this only if I have time to spare. I know these children and their families and I can understand the angst and anxiety the parents go through when their child does not make it. After all, I was once in their shoes, trying to get my own daughter into a grammar school, and when I asked for help, people on this forum very kindly pointed me in the right direction.