Questions about Colchester CCHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gladitsover

Re: Questions about Colchester CCHS

Post by Gladitsover »

Well done to your daughter on getting in! I'm sure she will love the school. It really doesn't matter that she's the only one going from her primary as she will definitely make new friends. In some ways, it's better to go into a class of new people and make new friends. Often, girls who go from the same primary don't necessarily stay together as they are growing up and finding new friendships, which isn't a bad thing. Also girls might find if they come from the same school, they feel obliged to have to stick together and I think it could take slightly longer to make new friends as they stick together like a security blanket! It's not necessarily a bad thing not to know anyone as you are forced to speak to others and what a good way to find out about others and to make new friends!

The school is very good at helping the girls settle in. There is an induction day where the girls can meet their new classmates before September (that's a good chance to swap the girls' mobile numbers or email address so they can keep in touch over the summer).

They also pair up with another class for PE and half the class is mixed with the other half for Tech so it's a good opportunity to mix with other girls from the year too.

In September, Year 7 start one day earlier than the rest of the school. This gives the girls an opportunity to find their way around the school before the whole school starts and I think for the first week, they are allowed to go to lunch first, making it less daunting.

They don't stream them until year 10 and they only stream in Maths. Obviously this may change as they do have a new headmistress this year. I'm sure your daughter will love the school as mine does!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thankyou Gladitsover.
Despite getting a place at her first choice grammar school my DD is very lacking in self confidence and was convinced she would be in the bottom sets for everything because the school would be full of "really clever girls". I know from my sons experience that ranking and your previous education counts for nothing once you get to Grammar school, it is the desire to learn, the motivation to work and some organisational skills that matter more, so I am sure she will cope just fine and enjoy her time there. Now I can reassure her that unless the new Head changes everything she will not be streamed in september!

I am also Gladitsover, at least for a few years! :D
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

I asked my daughter about the PE Kit, she said the Skort is used for outside netball so definately get one of those and the shorts for inside PE. she does use both sets of footwear also, white trainer for indoors. The tracksuit bottoms I think are for outside in the winter and my DD has worn hers quite a lot, think she last used them for crosscountry. Im sure your DD will have fun trying it all on!! :)
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Back again!

Various items of uniform/aprons state they must be embroidered with first name. Having limited needle skills (!) my question is do any parents use the large size name tapes for this or does everyone embroider them?

Mind boggles as to how you get it to be visible on a navy and white stripped apron?!
FLITCH6

Post by FLITCH6 »

Hi Minesatea,

My daughter has just finished year 11 and as far as I can remember we took her apron P.E. shirt etc. to a company in Witham, sorry I can't remember the name. They put her name on the apron using red cotton, it showed up very well. Hope that helps.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Minesatea, I took my son's blazer to 5 Star Stitches, Colchester and they did an amazing job sewing the house badge on for me. I'm not very good at sewing and I would not have done anywhere near as good a job as they did. They were very helpful and the blazer was ready to collect within the hour.
marigold

Post by marigold »

If you live anywhere near Chelmsford Franklins at the bottom of Moulsham Street have a lady who can do the embroidery for you. She did my daughter's PE shirt, sweatshirt and science apron as Chelmsford County High have the same requirements. I think it was about £5 per item.

Marigold
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks for the suggestions. I glad I'm not the only one to chicken out of the sewing!

I have heard about the PE bags and saw them when we were there on Tuesday night. Where do we get / order them from - I have lots of forms but nothing that mentions PE bags?
NOTLEY PARENTS

Post by NOTLEY PARENTS »

I thought the forms for the big pe bags were in the welcome pack but if you do not have one then either they have changed it or my memory is bad.
I do remember having to hand the forms in on an induction evening as my daughter went in the hall without it and I had to go and collect it from the car and give it to reception. That and the payment for the diary. Best you call them to ask really just in case its been left out the pack accidently as they order them in for September. You will need two locks (barrel kind with combination lock) one for the pe bag and one for classroom locker but they will explain all that at some point. Its a lot to take in, I thought my head would explode trying to remember everything.
A little tip is to turn the school sweatshirt inside out and wash and tumble dry before wearing it to get the fluff off. Many Year 7`s walk round with fluffy bits stuck to their shirts for a few weeks.
I cant believe how quickly it has gone, my little girl will be in year 8 soon.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now