Week off school before the exam ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

optimisticmom

Re: Week off school before the exam ?

Post by optimisticmom »

"When he began year 6 we took him through some past papers and worked on some exam strategies...."

The above quote is exactly my point. Why bother take him through some papers and show exam strategy? Do you know people enrol their kids with tutors, just to get exam tips and strategies, why? because they want there kids to have a fighting chance.

I know some parents on this forum who left their dc's to go into the 11 plus exam without looking at any papers and unfortunately, even though they've said their kids are naturally talented/brilliant, they did not make it on the day. Why? because they were simply not familiar with the question types, paper format and had no strategy etc

I would not go to a job interview without preparation, neither would I go to a meeting without preparing either. I tell my group of kids that you prepare for everything in life. You enter any competition fully prepared so you have an edge over your opponent. Nothing comes for free! Good results don't just drop in your lap, you keep your brain alive by working consistently or else you will forget. A little work every so often.

One kid in my group had natural brilliance indeed and she would score 79/80 VR questions but not in the said time. When her parents sent her to a tutor for exam strategy, she learnt how to score 79/80 in half the time.

I rest my case ya'll. Best wishes to all.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Optimisticmom - sorry, I've missed your point. Did we do the right thing or the wrong thing?
Hopefuldad wrote:IMS, i remember results day, and your child certainly did well with no prep. Not all have this ability.
Not 'no prep" Hopefuldad, but what we thought to be reasonable prep.
optimisticmom

Post by optimisticmom »

In my humble and limited opinion, you did the right thing. I am arguing a case for prep before the exam as you see fit for the child.