Guset

Post by Guset »

Vr 82/90
Maths 36/45
Eng 29/50

Colchester Girls 47/478 (First Choice)
Southend out of catchment 21/231
Westcliffe 32/386

Hope this helps those facing the battle next year..It only goes to dispel the myth that you need 95%+ on all the papers (thank god!!)

Post by Guest »

English 29/50
Maths 28/45
VR 63/90

Overall standardised weighted score = 330.12

School Preferences:

1. KEGS (not offered) 224 out of 569
2. Southend HSB* (offered) 98 out of 305
3. Westcliff HSB* 119 out of 364

* Out of catchment offer list for both schools

Interested to know where the KEGS cut off point was this year - guess we will hear from someone in due course - reckon we're a long way off!

Also interesting that we came higher up the waiting list for SHSB than WHSB when someone posted elsewhere that they had missed the out of catchment cut for their first choice, SHSB but made it into WHSB. Curious! (probably shows that more KEGS applicants put WHSB down as a 2nd choice than SHSB - just a guess).

Again, like the poster above I hope this gives some comfort to next year's applicants that you don't need outrageously high raw scores to get into a grammar school in Essex.

Post by Guest »

English 28/50
Maths 37/45
VR 64/90

Overall standardised score: 341.2

Schools:

KEGS (offered) 149/569
SHSB (out of catchment) 60/305

Post by Guest »

English 21/50
Maths 33/45
VR 70/90

Overall weighted standardised score 331.8

Chelmsford CHS Between 220-230/598
Southend HSG Between 80-90 (231 out of catchment)
Westcliff HSG Between 130-140 (386 out of catchment)

Post by Guest »

The one thing I am surprised about are the verbal reasoning scores. I have never know anyone get into KEGs with a VR score in the 60's. Just goes to show how it varies from year to year.

Also, if it gives hope to anyone, i know someone who has turned down a place for Chelmsford girls, already. Keep your hopes are, those who are close on the waiting lists!
Preparing Mum

Post by Preparing Mum »

Thank you guests for sharing your scores. This will be a great help in guiding a child based on ability and selecting choice of schools.

Good luck & start saving for that uniform and large school bag.

Post by Guest »

English 40/50 :)
Maths 34/45 :o
VR 59/90 :(

Overall standardised score: 351.32

Schools:
KEGS (offered) 100/569 :lol:

Post by Guest »

Overall standardised weighted score
Could someone please explain what this figure is out of.

Doesn't make sense. If 3 tests are sat at a max score of 100% per test, max score would be 300. But these scores are coming in at 300+. :?

Would greatly appreciate some clarification.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

I think this is confusing more than anything. i don't mean to be rude, but how can anyone be offered a place at KEGS with a score of 59 on the VR? I had a child start there a couple of years ago and i don't know anyone in his class that got less than 81 on the VR. Maybe it is a very low scoring year.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I think this is confusing more than anything. i don't mean to be rude, but how can anyone be offered a place at KEGS with a score of 59 on the VR? I had a child start there a couple of years ago and i don't know anyone in his class that got less than 81 on the VR. Maybe it is a very low scoring year.
....or maybe the test was harder. This year they reduced the time for the VR to 45 minutes, along with reducing the number of questions. The English paper has already been discussed as being difficult - the text this year was from Tess of the D'Urbevilles. My son had scored 100% in the Maths paper from last year, but only just over 70% from this year. Fortunately for us, he was offered a place at his 1st choice.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now