Should I be worried?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SEP18

Re: Should I be worried?

Post by SEP18 »

Thank you everyone for your kind replies - they certainly have put my mind at rest!

I was surprised at the mother's comment which did make me think - I had missed the point about jealously completely! :oops:

Celebrate it shall be and no more analysing !!!!!!!

Thank you kind forum friends :)
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Sep18 - some very sound comments on here about this I think.

Don't worry AT ALL! He did extremely well to get his place as did all the other children and he deserves his place.

Ranking will always be another source of ammunition for some petty parents. I know of one of my girl's friends who "just scraped", ie, 304.something. However, I know her very well - she is an intelligent girl and obviously just didn't have a good day. Also, if my girl had taken the exam in the year they had the Longitude paper, she would have totally nailed it as in practise she scored really well in the English and maths. However, in reality she scored 319.018 - (ranked 76) very respectable, but of course, not amazing. I don't care. I'm very, VERY proud of her and I know she will thrive at GS.

I wonder how us parents would fare in the 11+ eh? Sitting in a huge hall in silence, the clock ticking away, nerves kicking in, the child next to you sobbing quietly, questions frazzling your brain, knowing it's your only chance.... :lol:
kegsteacher

Post by kegsteacher »

I could tell you the story of George - the cleverest person I have ever taught, who could best his teachers in debate by the age of 13.
He went to Cambridge and came top of his year across the university in all three years.
Now Cambridge are hurrying him through his PhD so that he can start as a research fellow ahead of schedule.

He came almost last in the 11+ - of those who got in to KEGS.

The boys all know where they came, who came top and who came bottom. However, from all research it has zero correlation to GCSE and A level results.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

SEP18 wrote:My DS is worried because he was placed 115 and has got a place at CRGS.

Talking to a mother at school yesterday, she said she was glad her DS did not get a place because she didn't want him to just scrape through and then struggle.
Oh this does make me cross when people say things like this. Your DS didn't scrape through, he got a score high enough to qualify for a place at the school of his choice. Congratulations to him!

I'm sure the other mum didn't mean any harm and maybe this was just bravado in the face of her disappointment. I'm sure she would have taken the place had her DC got in.

Anyone who has seen their child go through this process knows how unpredictable the outcome can be. There will be lots of children who could do very well at the grammar schools who, for whatever reason, didn't make it through on the day.

Please don't let comments like this cast doubts in your mind about your DS's suitability for grammar. I am sure he will do very well indeed. Good luck to your DS and enjoy the moment.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Like the others have said:you have nothing to worry about. It doesn't matter where your son came in, he still made it. 8)
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

kegsteacher wrote:I could tell you the story of George - the cleverest person I have ever taught, who could best his teachers in debate by the age of 13.
He went to Cambridge and came top of his year across the university in all three years.
Now Cambridge are hurrying him through his PhD so that he can start as a research fellow ahead of schedule.

He came almost last in the 11+ - of those who got in to KEGS.

The boys all know where they came, who came top and who came bottom. However, from all research it has zero correlation to GCSE and A level results.
Thank you for sharing this story. I have just read your post to my DS. His response was "wow" with a big smile on his face. :)

Thank you.
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

No, you should not think any more about exam performance or ranking. The marks are to 3 decimal points, all DC's did really well to work to this standard, including those who haven't been lucky enough to get a place.
From what I remember of Grammar school days, the brightest kids in the early years weren't always at the top by sixth form and those predicted top A level results sometimes did not get them. So much has to do with attitude to work and other facts, sometimes a little luck too.
Your DC will be fine. 115 is also out of all the boys who applied, not just those who put if 1st choice, there could be quite a few lower than you.
I remember a school friend who did not pass 11+ and went on to get a 1st class degree. There will be lots of children who did not make it to GS who will go on to just as well at local comprehensives.
onlyme

Post by onlyme »

Sept 18

I do not agree with the other posters....
You should be worried...
Very worried...
Very, very worried indeed............

Worried about what the 'green eyed monster' will say next that is! :mrgreen:
Perpare now!... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well done your ds
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

:lol: :lol:
SEP18

Post by SEP18 »

onlyme wrote:Sept 18

I do not agree with the other posters....
You should be worried...
Very worried...
Very, very worried indeed............

Worried about what the 'green eyed monster' will say next that is! :mrgreen:
Perpare now!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well done your ds
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now