Premature panicking for 2015

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Araucana girl

Re: Premature panicking for 2015

Post by Araucana girl »

MmeOgg wrote:Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It seems that every family takes a slightly different approach, which makes sense as every child is different :D

I feel we've made a little progress, my husband has agreed in principle to spending the money on tutoring if that's the way we decide to go. The school is under a lot of pressure from Ofsted to prove they are supporting their more able pupils, and he was wondering if their suggestion re: 11+ reflects their priorities instead of any realistic expectation that our daughter might pass. Has anyone gone down the route of getting an independent assessment of a child's potential (perhaps from an 11+ tutor) before committing to the idea?

Thanks
Our tutor came from a private recommendation from this forum. I did ask him about assessments and he said that he would tell me in a few months whether he thought she was suitable but also tuition would help her anyway for secondary school and SATS.

He was very good and during the first few months she had him she was very skitty, wouldn't concentrate properly and really needed to settle down. He brought this to our attention at quite an early stage and we all kept an eye on it and worked on her to settle down :wink: I very much got the impression that if we were wasting our money he would have told us so, he did in fact discuss this with us when she wasn't concentrating etc., he said that if she continued in this way, we would be wasting our time and money. We all gave it a few more months and now he only says good things about her, with the odd whinge thrown in for good measure :roll:
"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

Albert Einstein
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

Adding a bit more to my last post. I think a good tutor will tell you if you are wasting your time and let you stop if you want to. Our tutor never makes us pay in advance for any classes or even commit to a length of time - I think he knows that we will stay with him and doesn't need to enforce anything.

Albert Einstein
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

I'm not sure if my daughter wants to go to grammar school. To be honest, I don't think she really has a feel for what it might mean.
I'm going to get her talk to her Auntie, who went to CHS many moons ago.
We don't know any families who currently have children at grammar school - most of our friends have younger children and there is only a very tiny number of children who don't go from our primary school to the local comprehensive.

I think that's why I need to follow the advice on going to the open day during Y4, instead of waiting to Y5.
Araucana girl

Post by Araucana girl »

MmeOgg wrote:I'm not sure if my daughter wants to go to grammar school. To be honest, I don't think she really has a feel for what it might mean.
I'm going to get her talk to her Auntie, who went to CHS many moons ago.
We don't know any families who currently have children at grammar school - most of our friends have younger children and there is only a very tiny number of children who don't go from our primary school to the local comprehensive.
We are in a similar situation. To be honest I don't think they are old enough to understand why the parents want it so much :D my dd can be open to suggestion so I have manoeuvered her in the direction of the grammars. She did love them at the open evenings though and I would not send her to a school she obviously would not fit in/ feel happy with.

Albert Einstein
pg19

Post by pg19 »

Hi ,
pg
my son is in year 4,and in the same boat.I st
arted with some bond papers of lower age just fir my son to gain confidence.slowly when he started enjoying it,i introduced books of his age group.DIY would work better for him.i also plan to show the grammer school in symmer term of yr 4,so that he knows what is he aiming at.
all the best
pg
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now