How will the CSSE changes affect your DIY prep?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: How will the CSSE changes affect your DIY prep?!

Post by Daogroupie »

This can certainly be done in almost two years. You can apply and then decide if it suits him. All that he learns will put him in a fantastic position for secondary school.
KB

Post by KB »

Looking at the number of people who have DSs who struggle with literacy but would have previously done Ok with the 11+ it could be that the level won't be as high as some are expecting?

Has anyone with a DC with dyslexia contacted a GS or the CSSE to find out what special arrangements will be available?

General advice would be to get DS to focus on great ideas and language and not to worry too much about spelling as that can stifle them and they end up not writing anything. And go for quality rather than quantity.
You can do quite a lot of formulaic prep so they have techniques ready and aren't thrown by a blank piece of paper with no idea where to start.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

KB wrote:Looking at the number of people who have DSs who struggle with literacy but would have previously done Ok with the 11+ it could be that the level won't be as high as some are expecting?
I've been pinning my hopes on that too :D

DS's written English is dreadful compared to his sister at the same age but not noticeably worse than a lot of bright boys. God bless the single sex grammar school.

I'm feeling a bit better now we are within touching distance of the promised sample paper. DS is going to give it a go as soon as we can get our hands on it and then we can take it from there. I was horribly frustrated a couple of months ago and my bad mood really rubbed off on poor DS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now