Essex Boys!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

I wish I had found this site last week, last month as I have been totally stressed out about my son being so laid back about the whole eleven plus and we finally got it over with I hope every one had a good day and all the children have done very well I now only have to stress untill march at least we have christmas to get our minds of it .
suffolkparentCRGS

Re: Essex Boys!

Post by suffolkparentCRGS »

GillyGillyOxenPepper wrote:Where are all the posts from mums of boys in Essex - why is it the majority of postings are from mums of girls? Are the boys' mums just too shy, or maybe just too stressed...?

I have a son sitting the 11+ on the 24th and hoping to go to CRGS (Colchester Grammar) - is there anyone else like me? How are the boys getting on? Mine is very laid back, for no particularly good reason - its just me doing the worrying!
I have a son who also took the 11+ at CRGS last november. We live just a little north of the border in Suffolk. I also have a daughter at the girls grammar school in Colchester. She is Yr 11 and just finished her mocks last week. I hate the waiting, it seems much worse this time than last time, I suppose because I now know what the benefits of the schools are firsthand and am even more keen for him to get the same type of education. Are you bearing up OK? Is this your first 11+ experience?
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

Let's put it this way ... roll on 7 weeks time :lol:

I suppose it is the second time I have been through this, except last time it was me and I went to Woodford High. Of course this was only a few years ago :wink:
Bwinkie
suffolkparentCRGS

Bwinkie wrote:Let's put it this way ... roll on 7 weeks time :lol:

I suppose it is the second time I have been through this, except last time it was me and I went to Woodford High. Of course this was only a few years ago :wink:
me too but it was aylesbury high schoo for me and one in surrey for my husband. probably explains why we are all so keen for the kids to go there too. What did you son think to thr exams? Harry thought the english and maths were easy but the verbal reason was much harder than the test papers, which suprised me as he normally found those quite easy.
Bwinkie

Post by Bwinkie »

My son and the others from his school all said the same.

For once in his life my son thought on his feet and put in random answers for the VR questions he hadn't done so he stands a chance one of them might be right :lol:

My hubbie and none of his family went to Grammar School so it is all new to them, my family are the opposite Grammar/Independent which can lead to some interesting discussions :roll:
Bwinkie
suffolkparentCRGS

Bwinkie wrote:My son and the others from his school all said the same.

For once in his life my son thought on his feet and put in random answers for the VR questions he hadn't done so he stands a chance one of them might be right :lol:

My hubbie and none of his family went to Grammar School so it is all new to them, my family are the opposite Grammar/Independent which can lead to some interesting discussions :roll:
It can be very difficault to explain the difference to someone who hasn't experienced it. Although we both went to Grammar schools, I struggled and he didn't. I think I must have just scraped through the exam, where as he has all the brains. That would be my only concern, if my son were to get in but only just, as he may find it very tough. My daughter has seen the same thing with girls at her school. How many days have we still got left to wait.

The biggest difference my daughter has noticed is that there is hardly any bad behavior in class and as such the teachers can have a better relationship with the girls. Also they learn a lot more about each subject as they can work at such a fast pace. Hopefully both our boys will make it and be able to benefit too. Were there many boys from your sons school who took it? There were only two from my sons school and the other ones father was a pupil at CRGS too.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Post by GillyGillyOxenPepper »

suffolkparentCRGS wrote:I have a son who also took the 11+ at CRGS last november...
Hello,
Its really nice to hear from you. No, its not my first time as I already have a son in Year 9 at CRGS. However, it was very much a "first time experience" when we went through it with him as no-one in the family up until then had been to a grammar.

Like you say, I do think it has been harder this time. In one respect our eldest son had "nothing to lose" whereas we are all too aware now of how much benefit he has received from attending CRGS over the past couple of years and so is his younger brother! Added to this, Son No2 is not quite the "high flyer" his brother is - although more than capable - so more pressure.

Again like you - Son No2 found the English and Maths fine and the VR harder than he expected - not quite finishing this paper but he did "fill in the gaps!".

Regards.
suffolkparentCRGS

GillyGillyOxenPepper wrote:
suffolkparentCRGS wrote:I have a son who also took the 11+ at CRGS last november...
Hello,
Its really nice to hear from you. No, its not my first time as I already have a son in Year 9 at CRGS. However, it was very much a "first time experience" when we went through it with him as no-one in the family up until then had been to a grammar.

Like you say, I do think it has been harder this time. In one respect our eldest son had "nothing to lose" whereas we are all too aware now of how much benefit he has received from attending CRGS over the past couple of years and so is his younger brother! Added to this, Son No2 is not quite the "high flyer" his brother is - although more than capable - so more pressure.

Again like you - Son No2 found the English and Maths fine and the VR harder than he expected - not quite finishing this paper but he did "fill in the gaps!".

Regards.
Hi Yes I 'm releived to find he wasn't the only one who didn't quite finish the paper and guessed the last few, I think he was quite shocked that it was so much harder. Does your elder son enjoy the boys grammar. My daughter at the high school, looked at transfering there for Alevels but found it much more formal than the girls school and has opted to stay were she is. My son I think is the brighter of the too so I hope he makes it, frankly because he need the discipline and needs to work at a higher level otherwise if the work is to easy and he finishes to quickly he is inclined to talk and cause distractions !

Oh well I suppose all we can do is sit and wait. I don't think my son is thinking about it at all, just me stressing I think.
tami

Post by tami »

hi we are in the same boat son no1 got into shsb last year, now having been part to a such a good school, some how has increased my anxiety levels for son no2 who sat the exam in nov.I,m already trying to monitor the postie's whereabouts!!!!!!! :shock:
Tami
Green Fingers

Post by Green Fingers »

I have to agree too. Both my husband and I went to a comp (the same one actually) and had no thoughts on sending our children to a grammar. When our son was identified as being quite bright we put him in for the 11+ with no great expectations. He passed and is now in year 11 at CRGS. When we realised what what was at stake ie. little or no truancy, no bad behaviour in class, moitivated peer group etc etc, it became a much bigger issue for my daughter to get into a grammar. She also wanted to go to a grammar school and was extremely motivated to suceed, we put no pressure on her at all. She now goes to CCHS and is loving it. She said "the other girls get me here. Before I was thought of as a bit kooky(!?) but here I'm just accepted for who I am". She has loads of friends and is enjoying the work very much.

Grammar school may not be the right choice for everyone, but it has worked for us. Keep up the good work and good luck for March 3rd.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now