Anyone DIY'd for both old style CSSE test, and new one?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kace

Re: Anyone DIY'd for both old style CSSE test, and new one?

Post by Kace »

Minesatea wrote:Oh dear, just gave DS the Captain Correlli paper. Probably was a mistake, for both his confidence and my sanity! :(
We did the 2007 Tess of the D'Urbervilles one yesterday...mainly to show dd1 how to handle a paper full of vocabulary she's not familiar with. After a major meltdown, we were then able to look at some techniques together, so I think I managed to turn the situation around, but she is pretty much at the end of her tether in terms of revision now (not to mention her mother!).
abraham

Post by abraham »

[quote="Dotty12345"]The work she did at school really helped her and she was working at a level 5. (I know that has changed this year) but to give you a comparison working at the required standard equates to a level 4b. So anything above that you are moving in to 4a and above.quote]

Thanks, that's really useful. Do you mean 'working at the required standard' in Yr 5 would equate to an old Level 4B? Hope that makes sense! 'Life without Levels' is currently blowing my poor little mind . . .
abraham

Post by abraham »

Minesatea wrote:Oh dear, just gave DS the Captain Correlli paper. Probably was a mistake, for both his confidence and my sanity! :(
Probably a bit late for reassurance now, but that I can remember almost giving up on the whole 11 plus thing after trying that Captain Correlli paper with DS1. Happy to say though that he did much better in the real thing (Sherlock Holmes paper in 2013). It helps enormously if it's a text they find interesting - and I think adrenalin on the day probably helps even more than that! DS1 flunked every mock English paper we gave him come to think of it, but scored 41/50 on the day - I suspect they all hold something back for the test itself. Good Luck :)
Taolut

Post by Taolut »

Hi,

I am also completely new to this and have a ds who has just started year 5 and we are looking to diy with him.

I am also very keen to know what 'working at the required do standard / level in year 5 equates to in the old style.

Thanks