Decision time !!!! / Stress !!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Jen - If you put the grammar school first and she got in having passed so well, you would not have been offered the comp so if you refuse the grammar place how do you know she will get into the comp (unless it is undersubscribed and there are places) as the LEA state that you will be offered whatever is available and as near to you as possible - in other words where there are places left. Still don't understand your reasoning - sorry to go on but my daughter actually was successful in gaining a place at CCHSG but when we saw the letter we both commented on how hard it must be for the girls just missing out (not to mention the parents) - if your daughter was one of the lucky ones for one of the grammars and now doesn't want the place I just feel she shouldn't have sat the exam - another child could have had that place from the start and not a letter saying they were unsuccessful.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Yes I agree,
Just can't see the logic in taking the test if you are not going to take a place at a grammar if you pass................

My son currently in year 8 at our local comp, said he would do the 11+(when he was in year 6) but didn't want to go to grammar school.

I told him there was no point in taking it then and stopping someone else from getting an immediate offer.

We we're told by lots of people/teachers to put him in for it as he had always been top of the class at primary.

I think he just wanted to take it to prove he could pass, but then wouldn't go.............. this is just not fair in my eyes.

We now wish he had gone to grammar as he is doing well but coasting at the comp, but you have to take the child's opinion into account.

My youngest daughter in year 5 says she doesn't want to go to grammar either so that's another at the local comp :?

I suppose at the end of the day you have to let them go where they will be happy and confident.

My daughter that is going to grammar in September said she wanted to go to girls grammar about 2 years ago and was very persistant.

We were the ones that kept asking her if she was sure etc.

Anyway enough of my ranting on, back to the argument.

You shouldn't put your child in for the test if you don't want them to take up a place if they pass.

Footymad :shock:

Post by Guest »

Footymad wrote:Yes I agree,
Just can't see the logic in taking the test if you are not going to take a place at a grammar if you pass................

My son currently in year 8 at our local comp, said he would do the 11+(when he was in year 6) but didn't want to go to grammar school.

I told him there was no point in taking it then and stopping someone else from getting an immediate offer.

We we're told by lots of people/teachers to put him in for it as he had always been top of the class at primary.

I think he just wanted to take it to prove he could pass, but then wouldn't go.............. this is just not fair in my eyes.

We now wish he had gone to grammar as he is doing well but coasting at the comp, but you have to take the child's opinion into account.

My youngest daughter in year 5 says she doesn't want to go to grammar either so that's another at the local comp :?

I suppose at the end of the day you have to let them go where they will be happy and confident.

My daughter that is going to grammar in September said she wanted to go to girls grammar about 2 years ago and was very persistant.

We were the ones that kept asking her if she was sure etc.

Anyway enough of my ranting on, back to the argument.

You shouldn't put your child in for the test if you don't want them to take up a place if they pass.

Footymad :shock:

Completely agree - try and think of others that really want it.
Guest99

Post by Guest99 »

ESSC wrote:Billericay...
You mean The Billericay School I presume? Have you had an offer for it as it is generally oversubscribed. My daughter will be going there in Sept after not managing to get a place at CCHSG, but Im quite happy wiith this as I have an elder one there doing GCSEs nect year and I cant really find fault with the school.
Essex Girl

Billericay School

Post by Essex Girl »

Yes,

I have several friends with children there and all are doing really well.
ESSC

Post by ESSC »

Yes it is The Billericay School....good to hear positive things about the School as we are really worried about him going to this School.........does anyone else have any feedback on the School....good or bad !!!!
jen

essex

Post by jen »

Just for the record, we put the good comp first. Appropriate grammar advised all parents to put them second. We were still unsure as to the 'correct' placement for our child, as said child has specific learning difficulties, and we weren't even sure if she could pass one of the papers in the time. All credit to her, she did. In the meantime, after much agonising, we all agreed good comp was the more appropriate placement for her. so we didn't ask for a reallocation to grammar. I'm so sorry if our choice of schools offends people.the fact is, we chose the three most appropriate schools for our child. (suppose she hadn't got in to comp, we have no secondary schools within 10 miles). We did the right thing for our child.

Re: essex

Post by Guest »

jen wrote:Just for the record, we put the good comp first. Appropriate grammar advised all parents to put them second. We were still unsure as to the 'correct' placement for our child, as said child has specific learning difficulties, and we weren't even sure if she could pass one of the papers in the time. All credit to her, she did. In the meantime, after much agonising, we all agreed good comp was the more appropriate placement for her. so we didn't ask for a reallocation to grammar. I'm so sorry if our choice of schools offends people.the fact is, we chose the three most appropriate schools for our child. (suppose she hadn't got in to comp, we have no secondary schools within 10 miles). We did the right thing for our child.

Apologies but your first message indicated that you had been offered a grammar place and were going to refuse it - that is obviously not the case. You were offered your first choice which was the comp but she did well enough to get a place in the grammar if you had put it as your first choice.the comp because it was your first choice so you wouldn't get a grammar place allocated.

I am really suprised that the grammar advised you to put them second after the comp. We went to CCHSG, Westcliffe and Southend and they all spent a long time explaining that you must put them first - not the comp as you would not be offered a place otherwise. Do you mind me asking which grammar advised putting the comp first to all parents? That would mean they wouldn't get any of the children.
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Jen,
I can truly understand you're situation now after you're post.

Where we live the grammars are out of area and if you don't put it as 1st choice you won't get an offer.

I suppose if you were unsure, you would like to keep you're options open until the last minute.

It just seems a shame for some kids to have to wait until some other kids turn down grammar places until they get an offer, but that unfortunately is down to the "system"
again.

My apologies If I sounded harsh, I hope you're daughter thrives at the local school.

Footymad 8)
jen

Post by jen »

thanks for your posts. I hope your children will be very happy at their schools.