KEGS - Why only one parent to open day?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ZB Mum

KEGS - Why only one parent to open day?

Post by ZB Mum »

Does anyone know the rationale of why KEGS only allows one parent to their open day? We are going next week and didn't realise it was just one parent, husband and I can't decide who to go. Seems too important a decision to only have one parent there.
mad?

Re: KEGS - Why only one parent to open day?

Post by mad? »

I imagine this is due to pressure of numbers.
mad?
Swirl

Post by Swirl »

Are these morning tours or a general evening / open day event? The grammar schools we saw had their open days in the summer preceding the exam and they were open to all; some of them offered limited tours after exam results were posted in October and they had to be booked. Open evenings were absolutely packed.

I guess morning tours can be disruptive so the school will want to limit the number of visitors but also may want to let more children see the school. There may be all sorts of safeguarding issues too (just guessing). If your child is in year five, then there usually is an open evening in late spring / early summer before they sit the exam.
clairew

Post by clairew »

It’s really popular so I imagine it minimises the disruption.
PipeDream

Post by PipeDream »

It would be chaos if they let more than one parent in, as soon as both parents go it opens it up to some needing to take young children round too as no child care etc etc. Remember these trips are during the school day and the boys already there are working. I was there yesterday and it was very well organised. More people would have been a nightmare, they'd have had to have less families at a time so many less families able to get the chance to look round in total.

They are not the only school to do this either. I'm on child 3 now and each year we have both gone to open days if there is the opportunity to both go, where there's not then the same parent has done the single ones so that one parent has the consistency of having seen ALL the schools. Child 2 my husband did all and me some, child 3 this time round I am doing all and my husband will do some. Child 1 not all schools did open days due to covid measures still in some places. Those that did my husband went, I put in a substantial amount of time researching the schools on websites and forums. There are ways to be informed so you can both still have a good understanding.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now