Availability of places due to number of kids taking the CSSE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
petjam

Availability of places due to number of kids taking the CSSE

Post by petjam »

Will an IC application always take priority over an OOC? Or do the schools always have a percentage which will go to OOC?

i.e. If enough children apply IC there will be no places at all for OOC?

I ask because as we know 50% more children took the exam. Surely that will have a bearing on the number of OOC places?
proud_parent

Re: Availability of places due to number of kids taking the

Post by proud_parent »

petjam wrote:Will an IC application always take priority over an OOC? Or do the schools always have a percentage which will go to OOC?

I ask because as we know 50% more children took the exam. Surely that will have a bearing on the number of OOC places?
Depends really.

WestCliff Girls had 50% kids from OOC and IC last two years - as per the Headteacher on open day.

As per their admission guide - 75% of seats are filled by IC students (no more than 75%), until they run out of IC students who scored 303 or more. It seems this usually is the case. Then they are left with at least 25% seats which are allocated to OOC students.

It depends these extra 50% students who gave the exam this year are from IC or OOC.

What makes it unclear is that we don't know out of these 50% extra students (this year) how many are girls /boys.
Daddy cool

Post by Daddy cool »

proud_parent wrote:
petjam wrote:Will an IC application always take priority over an OOC? Or do the schools always have a percentage which will go to OOC?

Depends really.

WestCliff Girls had 50% kids from OOC and IC last two years - as per the Headteacher on open day.

As per their admission guide - 75% of seats are filled by IC students (no more than 75%), until they run out of IC students who scored 303 or more. It seems this usually is the case. Then they are left with at least 25% seats which are allocated to OOC students.

It depends these extra 50% students who gave the exam this year are from IC or OOC.

What makes it unclear is that we don't know out of these 50% extra students (this year) how many are girls /boys.
Hi Proud_Parent I'm curious to know if your suggesting there were 50% more children sitting the CSSE exam compared with last year, or am I perhaps getting that wrong? I recently posted a figure of over 6000, a figure I was advised of prior to the exam. However, having followed this up post-exam it appears approx. 500 did not attend. Regards
proud_parent

Post by proud_parent »

Daddy cool wrote:
proud_parent wrote:

Depends really.

Hi Proud_Parent I'm curious to know if your suggesting there were 50% more children sitting the CSSE exam compared with last year, or am I perhaps getting that wrong? I recently posted a figure of over 6000, a figure I was advised of prior to the exam. However, having followed this up post-exam it appears approx. 500 did not attend. Regards
Yes, I saw your post about 6000 this year, compared to 4100 last year.

If 500 didn't appear, it is less than 50%.

Do you know how many didn't appear last year when 4100 had registered.
Daddy cool

Post by Daddy cool »

Hi Proud_Parent, sorry for misinforming you. Realising my blunder in providing incorrect figures I have re-checked them. They are as follows: in 2016 approx. 4900 sat the CSSE exam. In 2017 5380 sat the exam, and approx. 6000 registered prior. Thus there was a significant number who did not attend. Regards.
Idoknow

Post by Idoknow »

Petjam,

Yes, generally Southend boys' schools allocate 5/6 of its places to IC boys first but (as it happened last year), there was not enough of them with a minimum score of 303, so those places 'spilled' into OOC allocation and there were more than enough OOC applicants. This was the case with both Southend schools for boys.
petjam

Post by petjam »

Daddy cool wrote:Hi Proud_Parent, sorry for misinforming you. Realising my blunder in providing incorrect figures I have re-checked them. They are as follows: in 2016 approx. 4900 sat the CSSE exam. In 2017 5380 sat the exam, and approx. 6000 registered prior. Thus there was a significant number who did not attend. Regards.
Where is the source of this information?
Daddy cool

Post by Daddy cool »

petjam wrote:
Daddy cool wrote:Hi Proud_Parent, sorry for misinforming you. Realising my blunder in providing incorrect figures I have re-checked them. They are as follows: in 2016 approx. 4900 sat the CSSE exam. In 2017 5380 sat the exam, and approx. 6000 registered prior. Thus there was a significant number who did not attend. Regards.
Give CSSE a call...
petjam

Post by petjam »

Daddy cool wrote:
petjam wrote:
Give CSSE a call...
That's good to know. I didn't think they would have given you that information.

So not that much up on last year. That puts my mind to rest a bit.
Chocoholic83

Post by Chocoholic83 »

Would CSSE tell you the proportion of boys to girls?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now