Colchester Girls any tips?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mum2twogirls

Colchester Girls any tips?

Post by mum2twogirls »

My daughter has accepted her place at Colchester this week and just wondered if there are any existing mums who can give any advice/tips in preparation for starting in September.
Was thinking of the extra bits she might need, equipment, coat, bag etc.

Also, in the welcome pack it states black plain shoes, can these be patent?

DD cannot wait for the induction day!
Proudmumregardless

Re: Colchester Girls any tips?

Post by Proudmumregardless »

Congratulations!

I don't know about patent as we've never done patent. Make sure she uses her locker...we are still trying to get it through to DD that she doesn't need EVERYTHING to be kept in her school bag, she walks to and from school and complains she's tired...

Uniform wise we got DD short sleeved blouses and she's not once asked for long sleeved, we got them from Very and they're really cheap there.

Be warned there is a lot of asking for money from the school for daft reasons.

They're on the countdown to their residential trip now which you'll no doubt hear all about when your daughter starts! They go and rough it in the woods and have fun :-)

Encourage your daughter to throw herself into the school, there is lots to do and something for everyone I'm sure she'll love it! DD is y7 and has no regrets about going, she is really happy she's at the right school for her.
bravado

Post by bravado »

Proudmumregardless wrote:Congratulations!

Be warned there is a lot of asking for money from the school for daft reasons.
Maybe this is a new thing - I'm intrigued, so would you mind explaining a little?

DD's in Yr 10 and wears patent shoes.

Here's her advice:

1. Don't wear make-up - believe it or not, some YR 7's do and she says they stand out out and look a bit ridiculous.

2. Don't roll your skirt waistband.

3. Don't rest on your laurels - revise for tests, even small ones.

4. The PE sweatshirt is really useful.

5. The least useful items were gumshield, shin pads and school scarf.

6. Always be respectful to every member of staff and extend tolerance/toleration to all your fellow young ladies.

7. Don't run outside Room G2!
mum2twogirls

Post by mum2twogirls »

Thanks, all very useful tips, the last one about running made me chuckle!
Colcmum

Post by Colcmum »

Buy the full PE kit, they have just done cross country and DD was cold! Also the swimming costume/hat if you live close enough, as the school let them swim before school half of the year (DD gets up extra early to do this).

Uniform- we bought one blazer, five short sleeved shirts, two skirts and ten pairs of socks. This has been more than sufficient for DD. We didn't buy cardigans, school wrap, scarf etc. If you get in early in august to Coes, then they often do an offer when you get money off in the shop if you spend a certain amount. We used it to buy trainers, but I think it expired mid-august. DD didn't grow out of any of the uniform in that month despite the doom mongers. I embroidered DD's name on the things that needed it, but coes do offer this as a service. DD doesn't wear a coat as she hates taking it back and forth to her locker. I lost this argument. Bag is a rucksack, all of her friends who have been here have had a generic rucksack too. She is on her second of the year already as they can get heavy!

Work hard, do lots of studying, revise etc. Really important not to slack, they move at a tight pace and there are regular progress checks.

On the taster day give her a notebook and get her to get as many numbers/what's app etc things as possible from her classmates. DD's class started a what's app group so they can all talk to each other/share homework info etc. It's a nice way to get to know the other girls in the class, and it's one of the ways they do their group homework (which can be tricky to organise due to distance).

Follow the rules, uniform, behaviour etc.
KB

Post by KB »

Generic advice - wear in new school shoes in advance. If they are used to being taken to school and spending the day in one classroom the amount of walking might be a surprise and you don't want to get sore feet or blisters from new shoes....

Slightly concerned about not needing gumshield and shin pads - are these not compulsory for hockey?
bravado

Post by bravado »

KB wrote:

Slightly concerned about not needing gum shield and shin pads - are these not compulsory for hockey?
She's only picked up a hockey stick once in the entire time she's been there - so I guess that's why she said
gum shield and shin pads were the least useful items :D :lol:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DD took GCSE PE , yet has never played hockey in 6 years at the school! Never needed shin pads or gum shield at school, you do need separate indoor and outdoor trainers though.
She was another who only wore short sleeved shirts, although she did wear the cardigan.
Patent black shoes not a problem, she had a nice pair of patent black brogues in year 11.
DD found a compact umbrella to fit in her rucksac better on wet days than a raincoat, although she did wear a thick coat in winter.
KB

Post by KB »

Interesting that they don't have to teach some hockey.

I remember during one OFSTED at CRGS they were pulled up for not teaching football as well as rugby.
That was in the days when the only boys who played football were those deemed so bad at rugby they were a danger to themselves or others :)

Guessing the girls have sufficient variety of other sports, dance etc that it gives them the breadth required.

It's a shame they don't do a bit more though. I'm not a believer in anyone being made to do a particular sport long term but lower years of secondary are a good opportunity to get experience of activities you think you might not like and sometimes surprise yourself.
mum2twogirls

Post by mum2twogirls »

Thanks again for each reply, most helpful! I am wondering if any of you with DD already attending the school can tell me which sports they do, especially if one of them isn't hockey? I am aware of the netball... am I right in thinking this is an AFTER school club for Year 7? Do they play cricket as my daughter currently trains with the Essex Girls Academy and would love it if they played at school too...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now