SHSB Offers - 2018 intake

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum of boys

Re: SHSB Offers - 2018 intake

Post by mum of boys »

Shocker wrote:341.11 in area, not offered place. Does that sound right?
Hope you've managed to speak to the LEA this morning. Let us know how you get on.
Shocker

Post by Shocker »

Spoke with LEA who advised they can’t assist. They’ve directed me to Southend Admissions, who aren’t picking up calls. Perhaps the weather has left the office deserted. Will keep trying
anticipation

Post by anticipation »

Shocker wrote:Spoke with LEA who advised they can’t assist. They’ve directed me to Southend Admissions, who aren’t picking up calls. Perhaps the weather has left the office deserted. Will keep trying
I have been thinking about your situation all night goodness knows how you must feel :( . Is there an email address you could contact for Southend admissions ? Fingers crossed you get through soon.
Shocker

Post by Shocker »

I’ve moved on from being shocked, to now being stunned! This is the email response I received from the LEA:

‘We were advised via Southend admissions that the admission authority, ie Southend High and Westcliffe High did not rank your application high enough to be offered a place.

The same situation applies for King John school.

The law does not permit any admission authority to guarantee a place to children living in the catchment area.‘

Seriously? What is the point of our children taking this exam if their result is going to be disregarded on a whim & a place offered to an OOC with a lower score?

Now contemplating my next steps. Anyone with any experience in this area? Any help/guidance greatly appreciated
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Shocker wrote:I’ve moved on from being shocked, to now being stunned! This is the email response I received from the LEA:

‘We were advised via Southend admissions that the admission authority, ie Southend High and Westcliffe High did not rank your application high enough to be offered a place.

The law does not permit any admission authority to guarantee a place to children living in the catchment area.‘

Seriously? What is the point of our children taking this exam if their result is going to be disregarded on a whim & a place offered to an OOC with a lower score?

Now contemplating my next steps. Anyone with any experience in this area? Any help/guidance greatly appreciated
OK - so the problem seems to be with the communication of your score to SHSB and WHSB, if they think you didn't score highly enough to get a place. Southend Admissions might be able to help. Or possibly the CSSE?
anticipation

Post by anticipation »

mum of boys wrote:
Shocker wrote:I’ve moved on from being shocked, to now being stunned! This is the email response I received from the LEA:

OK - so the problem seems to be with the communication of your score to SHSB and WHSB, if they think you didn't score highly enough to get a place. Southend Admissions might be able to help. Or possibly the CSSE?
I agree there seems to be an issue with the communication of you DS score to the LA - I would keep trying to get hold of Southend admissions and actually get to speak to someone additionally, try the CSSE and check the information the hold on your sons score is the same as the information you have. Mistakes do happen. Fingers crossed.
Shocker

Post by Shocker »

Thanks for all your support. It's keeping me positive in a dim situation :( I've emailed the CSSE and will continue to try to get through to Southend admissions
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

KEGS is shut today, so the CSSE office might be closed too (it is located at KEGS).

Hope you get it sorted soon. This happened in my son's year

The following year (2014), I posted this:
Blitz wrote:Last year a mistake was made with an i/c boy scoring in excess of 350 not being allocated his first choice school - KEGS.
This mistake was rectified by Essex CC.

This year at least 2 mistakes have already been made with allocations. Luckily parents posting scores have alerted others to the cut off marks and mistakes have been rectified by councils.

However, this means:
SHSB is 1 over PAN for o/c boys
WHSG is 1 over PAN for o/c girls
It is rare that this happens, but when it does happen it always gets rectified... however, the wait causes stress for the parents, but hang in there it will get sorted.
Shocker

Post by Shocker »

For those that are interested, a short update. Southend Admissions are liaising with the CSSE team & Essex Admissions, so with some luck we should get this resolved soon and hopefully, in our favour.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

Shocker wrote:For those that are interested, a short update. Southend Admissions are liaising with the CSSE team & Essex Admissions, so with some luck we should get this resolved soon and hopefully, in our favour.
So glad you are making progress. Now they are all talking to each other, this will hopefully be resolved soon. Best of luck and let us know what happens.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now