2019 Maths Paper query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

abraham

Re: 2019 Maths Paper query

Post by abraham »

Surely the thing to focus on here is the differences that exist between test centres - not sittings. Could it (really?) be the case that all DC's at certain test centre/s got the Brexit question (and poss. entire 2017 paper???) whilst all DC's at other test centres got the 2018 paper that the CSSE are now posting out? Certainly seems unlikely - but it is just about possible, isn't it? Are the posters whose DC's got the Brexit question willing to share which test centre/s their DC's sat their 11+ in? Or is it just that the DC's are all remembering practising with the 2017 paper, and getting confused? Has to be considered as a possibility, but some of the accounts do nevertheless sound very convincing - esp. those DC's that mentioned the Brexit question to their parents more or less as soon as they came out of the test! If it started to look as if all the DC's that remembered the Brexit question all just happened to sit the 11+ in the same test centre though . . . well then the CSSE really would have a problem on their hands. Remember it only needs one candidate's results to be wrong for all candidate's results to be wrong.

If people have concerns about the different arrangements for invigilating the exam in the different test centres, then just take a moment to think about the potential differences that must exist in marking arrangements between the different test centres (esp. when you consider that 25% of the English marks are, more or less, awarded subjectively . . .)

6000-ish kids taking the exam in 11-ish different test centres, each with their own arrangements for invigilating and marking. Some being marked by teachers, some by members of the PA - 12.5-ish % of the marks being awarded subjectively. At least four different (that we know about) papers across two different sittings. No formal review process in place, an appeals system in which hardly anyone ever wins. Some schools offering re-marks, some not - all at their own discretion. It's certainly a melting pot for mistakes to ferment in, that's for sure!

And if anyone does manage to get their DC's actual exam scripts, I would love to hear about it - as I have already asked for mine, and they turned me down! From what I understand of it, I think exam scripts are exempt from all the DPR stuff - but they are allowed to give them out at their discretion.

For those of you thinking about challenging the 11+ process in Essex, you have until 15 May to object to the admissions arrangements with the Office of the Schools Adjudicator - but you will have to do it for 2020 entry, not 2019 (as the deadline for objections to the 2019 arrangements was 15 May last year!), so it won't necessarily help your own DC's cases anyway. But, then again, if lots of objectors were to all site the 2019 test as an area of concern . . . well, who knows what could happen?

How fitting that a question on Brexit has caused all this debate!
Last edited by abraham on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DadEleven

Post by DadEleven »

When we received the 2019 CSSE copy - my son pointed out that his paper did not have any angle quiestion as in the 2019 - and this is one of his favourite areas - and he did not have it. He also sat the 2018 mock 6 months prior to the exam at home. And after that 3 independent practice tests (prepared inhouse) at a KIP centre (1 in April 1 in July 1 in Sept)which we paid for to ensure he get some experience of a test centre environment. Because we subscribed for 3 mock tests dates only received emails with his scores and a breakdown of how he performed in the areas covered.

Just too bizarre to be not noticed - if we were the only one - I'd just brush it off as "exam shock".

Don't know what to think anymore...
abraham

Post by abraham »

DadEleven wrote:When we received the 2019 CSSE copy - my son pointed out that his paper did not have any angle quiestion as in the 2019 - and this is one of his favourite areas - and he did not have it. He also sat the 2018 mock 6 months prior to the exam at home. And after that 3 independent practice tests (prepared inhouse) at a KIP centre (1 in April 1 in July 1 in Sept)which we paid for to ensure he get some experience of a test centre environment. Because we subscribed for 3 mock tests dates only received emails with his scores and a breakdown of how he performed in the areas covered.

Just too bizarre to be not noticed - if we were the only one - I'd just brush it off as "exam shock".

Don't know what to think anymore...
If I was in your position, I would write to the school your DS sat the paper in (and maybe the CSSE as well) explaining that your DS genuinely doesn't believe the 2019 entry paper you have received is the one he sat on 22.9 and, for this reason, you are requesting copies of his exam scripts. They do not have to give them to you (as exam scripts are exempt from GDPR/DPA) but, under the circumstances, they may well be willing to. You could also ask the school he sat the paper in for a 'clerical check' of his papers (if you have not done so already) but some parents are reluctant to do this as scores can of course go down as well as up - and you may already be on a waiting list somewhere, I don't know your situation. The whole thing is a minefield because the practices between test centres are so different - some will do clerical checks, others won't, some will do re-marks, others won't, some will release exam scripts, others won't . . . You get the picture! My guess is they will only send you your DS's exam scripts if they prove that he did indeed sit the 2019 test papers they have been sending out and it shows he (and you) are mistaken (if he is right, and he genuinely did sit a different paper to the one they have been sending out, then I don't think there's a snowball's chance in **** of you ever getting sight of those papers - as the implications of that would just be incomprehensible!) Like I said, I would love to know if you are successful (pretty sure there will be lots of other people watching & waiting on here too!) The more you delve into the 11+ process in Essex, the more you come to realise just how flawed it is.
Hedgehogmum

Post by Hedgehogmum »

Same response from CSSE. ALL children took the same paper in September. I'll get a copy of the maths paper and check it with DS.

He took the paper at CRGS so I'll ask if we can have a copy.
kegboys

Post by kegboys »

If you were given an entirely different paper than surely your child would have scored zero in the maths surely the marker would have a different set of answers to the paper?

My child sat the paper on the Saturday at kegs and remembers the oranges and apples question.

I do not think they give papers out, they will remark to check they have added all up correctly but not give out paper as I know someone who tried in the past.

There are 2 people marking so highly unlikely not one of them would flag up an issue as when you mark them you see the questions on the left and surely would notice anomaly?
clairew

Post by clairew »

My son also Sat the paper at KEGS on the Saturday and I remember him mentioning the oranges and apples question, he said it was quite hard and he only just finished it in time. I’m sure he said it was the last question on the paper, maybe not all the children got to that question in the 60 minutes.
Wontsleeptonight

Post by Wontsleeptonight »

Same, my son said there was the apples and oranges question at the KEGS sitting. The papers must have been the same like someone else said the markers would have not had the 2018 answers.

Even if some kids were given the 2018 paper which is not likely, then that was supposedly much easier so lucky them!

I wouldn't hold your breath about the CSSE stepping in as they did nothing in response to the traffic light system queries.
Hedgehogmum

Post by Hedgehogmum »

Did your children have the brexit style question?
Yes, I've no doubt we will have no resolution about questions being different. CSSE have already confirmed that all children were given the same paper even though there had been question about this. Good luck to your DC's! X
Janita

Post by Janita »

It seems that the issue we who got the currency conversion question have - is that most of our DS/DD paper were 2019 entrance but one full page (double sided a3 - p3,4,9,10) from 2018 entrance. Which then means the angles question on p9 or 10 were not in their paper.

Mind-boggling - but that seems to be the case.
abraham

Post by abraham »

Hedgehogmum wrote:Same response from CSSE. ALL children took the same paper in September. I'll get a copy of the maths paper and check it with DS.

He took the paper at CRGS so I'll ask if we can have a copy.
That's interesting . . . is it possible that the Colchester school/s is/are the Brexit question connection? Would be interesting to see if a pattern began to emerge . . .