2019 Maths Paper query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
abraham

Re: 2019 Maths Paper query

Post by abraham »

DadEleven wrote:Apologies for not answering yet - been busy overthinking our situation and just think the energy and effort is not worth it as it will MOST certainly not go anywhere but...here.

Life is full of challenges - ups and downs.

After two weeks since allocation day (and waiting anxiously for waiting list tomorrow) - my heart skipped many beats...

First of all for my son, secondly for everyone who had high hopes that came crashing down due to all the hick-ups that 2019 entry brought. It will surely go down in history!

If mistakes were made by CSSE - it is going to be impossible to prove.

CSSE has already confirmed that no errors were made, a clerical check was done - and they could not find any errors. I asked to see page nine of his paper (as this is where there were NO triangle questions but currency). Received a lengthy legally entertained letter which basically said...

NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS.

That's that then. I'm just finishing off an appeal - not sure if we will even make it to appeal date. For now - another annoying few months of... W A I T I N G...P A T I E N T L Y...

At least I know now what to expect when DD needs to sit the 11+ in 2021 - sadly, nothing.
Good luck with your appeal! As just posted above, they do apparently sometimes show you the exam scripts at the appeal hearing anyway - so you may yet get to find out the truth after all! If you win your appeal then you will have nothing to lose by sharing what you know - if I found out anything that inflammatory though I think I'd be tempted to publish it anonymously (you don't want your DS to get off on a bad footing from day one :wink: )
abraham

Post by abraham »

keepcalmand... wrote:Is this right? ... Janita says some DC might have been given p.9 and 10 from 2018 entry paper instead (the former of which covers the money conversion/Brexit questions and the latter of which contains 'train-stop time' questions), while DadEleven writes that his DS and his friends testified that their paper had a Brexit question but did not have any 'train-stop time' questions (possibly p. 9 but not p.10 of 2018 entry paper?)

... This challenges both hypotheses that (1) an entire A3 sheet (pp. 3-4; 9-10) of the 2019 entry paper was replaced with the 2018 entry paper, and that (2) the whole 2018 entry paper was given instead of the 2019 entry paper).

Janita wrote:It seems that the issue we who got the currency conversion question have - is that most of our DS/DD paper were 2019 entrance but one full page (double sided a3 - p3,4,9,10) from 2018 entrance. Which then means the angles question on p9 or 10 were not in their paper.
DadEleven wrote: He and his 3 other friends that sat on the 21st of Sept (edit 22 Sept - typo) had a discussion today - and they all confirmed the same.
Their paper most certainly had questions about conversion rates between pounds and dollars after Brexit vote and most definitely not any "angle" or "train- stop time" questions.( like the one we received in the post)
No, having followed this whole unlikely thread, I don't think you have got that quite right . . . so hypothesis 1 might still stand (but not, as you say, hypothesis 2). Given that they both seem to have hit a brick wall over it anyway, we'll probably never know.
DsMum2019

Post by DsMum2019 »

DadEleven wrote:Good Afternoon

He and his 3 other friends that sat on the 21st of Sept (edit 22 Sept - typo) had a discussion today - and they all confirmed the same.
Their paper most certainly had questions about conversion rates between pounds and dollars after Brexit vote and most definitely not any "angle" ( like the one we received in the post)
DadEleven - good luck with your appeal. As parents we know our children best. And obviously as you DC was not the only one coming forth (just on this forum) about having the Pound / Dollar question it is understandable that there should be some type of concern.

But sadly, this issue will most certainly be brushed under the carpet and you (and others that have requested details) will - and have been - kindly told - nothing happened and it's all in your DC's clever minds.

Whatever the outcome. I wish you and all you DC well.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now