KEGS or QE???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: KEGS or QE???

Post by Daogroupie »

It is all very well your ds liking QE when you drive him there.

The reality of actually getting there for him is quite different.

I suggest he makes the journey there and back every day in half term and then see if he still wants to go.

There is also the issue of local friends which will become increasingly important. DG
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Both excellent schools. Couldn’t agree more with the other posts. If you’re not able to move, then choose the school which is the easiest commute. There are lots of afterschool activities on offer at KEGS, and it would be a shame to miss out on them. There are private shuttle buses from Ilford to KEGS of course, but that would mean coming home straight after school. 4.30-5pm is optimistic for Barkingside if taking public transport.

Same issues will present itself for QE. Good luck in the decision making!
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

Caesar2019 wrote:Dear All,

Thank you I really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. This is a real dilemma for us and I am leaning towards kegs for the ease of commute but my ds really loved QE and all the school had to offer, hence the struggle! It seems clear to me that the demands and expectations set by QE could be a real issue in later years if ds has to make that journey from Barnet to Barkingside everyday. Moving is not an option for us right now, but I do have other younger daughter and son to also think about.

Will be mulling this over and no doubt we will change our minds several times before we actually decide!

Thanks again
Caesar
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

resrtr wrote:
Caesar2019 wrote:Dear All,

Thank you I really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. This is a real dilemma for us and I am leaning towards kegs for the ease of commute but my ds really loved QE and all the school had to offer, hence the struggle! It seems clear to me that the demands and expectations set by QE could be a real issue in later years if ds has to make that journey from Barnet to Barkingside everyday. Moving is not an option for us right now, but I do have other younger daughter and son to also think about.

Will be mulling this over and no doubt we will change our minds several times before we actually decide!

Thanks again
Caesar
I disagree when parents say that a child's preference is paramount when choosing a school. The whole family is affected by the school choice.Which 10 year old thinks about house prices, house sizes, mortgage, public transport, after school clubs etc when choosing a school?

My then 10 year old was enamoured by the QE swimming pool but preferred the KEGS head master - not mind- blowing decision making considerations imo.

If left to himself probably he would have chosen QE. But we wanted him to explore all the clubs that a grammar school could offer and KEGS was the ideal choice as it has something to suit every interest - it is a well - rounded school. Also my son thrives in a relaxed but disciplined atmosphere, is competetive but in a laidback manner. KEGS has a not- in -your- face approach to discipline which works for him. We knew as parents where he would be happier though he didn't know it at that time.

Please consider your child's personality when you choose a school - sometimes parents don't bother or they dont know that this is important.

And congrats, your dilemma is a good dilemma to be in.
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

T0tleybrook wrote:Both excellent schools. Couldn’t agree more with the other posts. If you’re not able to move, then choose the school which is the easiest commute. There are lots of afterschool activities on offer at KEGS, and it would be a shame to miss out on them. There are private shuttle buses from Ilford to KEGS of course, but that would mean coming home straight after school. 4.30-5pm is optimistic for Barkingside if taking public transport.

Same issues will present itself for QE. Good luck in the decision making!
Live near gidea park, 4:30 is optimistic for us, 5 is realistic
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

You find that kids like schools because they were given a snack and they enjoyed it or there was some other attraction. Schools all look great on open days.