The Pates vrs A.N.Other grammar dilemna.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

Ah, thank you. Just cruising, you know! And trying to bite my tongue- SO hard when you're as opinionated as I am!
Milla

Post by Milla »

tell me about it ! :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

A good exercise in self-control: read, feel rush of adrenalin ['I MUST comment']; stop self; exit from that thread; drink wine/wash up/kick cat - etc.

Getting particularly twitchy about negative remarks re teachers though! 2 sides to every story and all that.
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

I guess we all have our own views on the rights and wrongs of 'school policies'. I have made a few comments about teachers and their lack of support for parents who wish to appeal. I do feel justified as I am in the profession and would never wish to disparage teachers.

I would just like to see a level playing field. Either all schools support appeals or none do. I wonder how well subscribed some schools would be if such policies were made obvious to parents in y3?
bobbob

primary schools

Post by bobbob »

All my 'inside' experience is of secondary schools.

In secondary we see preparing students to porgress to the next stage of their education as one of our important roles. A parent would be rightly furious if we said -
'you want to go to a selective university - oh, we disagree with such an elitist (or whatever) attitude so you child will get little help preparing for university entrance tests, no help with their UCAS application, no reference from us. You want us to offer an opinion after educating them for the last few years about whether they would be suited for Oxbridge? How dare you! We disagree ideologically with such places ....'
We would (subject to resources) expect all secondary schools to prepare students for whatever (different) progression route after school - why do we let primary schools off doing similar prep?

I do not mean helpin some students in the primary class and not others, I mean helping all with what they need. We only offer reading recovery to those needing it and who would benefit from it. Why is it so bad to give the same amount of help in test prep for those aspiring to Grammar Schools?

I would also say that many primary schools do prep for SATS tests. Learning ENg, Mat and ASci is good, of course, but prep for teh SATS tests seems hypocritical. SATS results barely benefit children at all whereas Grammar School entrance tests make a big difference to life chances - especially in areas without outstanding / good comps. After all - there isn't a site like this with parents worrying about Key StTage Two SATs results!
EmeraldE

Post by EmeraldE »

Well put Bobbob! You are quite correct in all you say. School should be about meeting learning needs be it to aspire to comp, grammar, local Uni or Oxbridge.
Milla

Post by Milla »

yes, an extremely good point well made. Makes the mind boggle more that the ideology card can be played, frankly.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now