pamphlet"you matter" from the lea

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EmeraldE

Re: pamphlet"you matter" from the lea

Post by EmeraldE »

If you have not seen the leaflet, and would like to, you can find it on the Glos County Council website. Just search for You Matter in the search facility and it is available as a PDF at the bottom of the page. What annoys me most about it is that my DCs have no idea about some of the content e.g. that people might 'self harm' nor do I wish them to know. Time enough for that when they are older and can understand the concept.

Also dislike the very negative front cover. Not keen on the continual use of emotionally charged images...any kid reading this would think being an adolescent is a minefield of doom, gloom and negativity. Not really a publication for the gen pop of kiddies in my opinion. :shock:

Some useful content and contacts I guess but I would hope to have a close secure relationship with my kids, even at 15, that they would not need to resort to ringing 'Anorexia Helpline' or such like. I suppose there are young people in crisis who might need this leaflet and it could be a lifeline for them. Hopefully it will not ever be my kids.
katel

Post by katel »

Just read it - I obviously have too much time on my hands. Looks fine to me - can't see why anyone would object.

Oh, and whoever complained that married/ cohabiting heterosexual families weren't mentioned - the section you are talking about is specifically about people who come from different sortsof families and who might be bullied because of it. The obvious conclusion is that most people come from heterosexual families - otherwose why would children from "other" sorts of families be percieved as different.

I think there is a worrying level of hysteria on this thread.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I mentioned that section as an example of the assumptions that were being made. Imo every child,family,street,community is unique and individual with different needs and attitudes. Singling out some can lead to discrimination,accepting that everyone is different can make for a much nicer community to live in. Yes I agree that making this information available to those who are vulnerable enough to need it is important however I believe that it could be done in a much better way. IMO this leaflet gives a small amount of information when much more is needed, too much or inappropriate information and some(re bullying)that I might have found useful 2years ago when it was happening to my ds1. I would rather have been told that this leaflet was available and given the opportunity to read it before my ds1, I would at least have been prepared for some of the questions he asked.
I would also like to assure Katel that I have never been hysterical in my life and think that it would be a poor show to become so now. :wink:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Out of interest did anyone's DC read it?

In our family I have only seen one of my children do this with all the paperwork that comes home from school and that only happened once. Also many DC haven't got the literacy skills to read them and neither have their parents. Yet still we churn out this stuff at a huge financial and environmental cost to the country.

Turtleglos is right if it is important then it should be done in a more effective way.