What would you do different?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
turtleglos

Re: What would you do different?

Post by turtleglos »

Sorry, couldnt resist. :oops:
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
PaterGloucester

Post by PaterGloucester »

It very much depends on the DC, but if I did it again I would:

-- Start VR home tutoring sessions later. I started in March and in retrospect that was too early. Bright kids get bored repeating things they can do easily.

-- Possibly do one - but only one - 'double test' of two papers like the real thing. I decided not to because I didn't think there was any need (DC agrees), but it would have been one less thing for me to worry about.

-- Not paid any attention to DC's gloomy comments on being collected from the exam !

I were to offer one piece of advice it would be to ensure that they have experience of doing truly difficult tests, at the level of the second paper. Most of the widely available practice tests do not reflect the difficulty of the second paper, and I reckon this is why some really able kids don't achieve marks that reflect their true ability. They freak out when they see paper two...
livviloo

Post by livviloo »

I forgot to answer the question :roll:
I would:

Play more word games, scrabble, boggle etc

Do some papers from different companies, I only had time for tutors(I think I got the wrong ones too), Bright sparks and NFER. I would try IPS too

Read more to them, never enough time, we both work full time. I know excuses,excuses

Start a bit earlier, like march/april with 1 hr a week. I didn't start until July because, slack mother that I am, it just wasn't on my radar and my DS had never expressed an interest until then. Also he has some SEN (social skills/ASD issues) that school identified and they and EP just encouraged us to go to local comp. We didn't question them.
DD is a whole different kettle of fish. Conscientious , keen, organised, hard working, emotionally very mature, great social skills but perhaps less innate ability.

Not listen to or talk to any other mothers/fathers in the playground about how their/my child is getting on. Holding your cards close to your chest is more important than I realised. This forum surely exists to fill that hole :D

Teach my child to do the same, including about the results. I did not prepare him for this. He has learnt rather quickly that sharing his pleasure of his success has not been met with the same jubilation at school, either from staff of fellow pupils, as it is at home.
1203tommy

Post by 1203tommy »

Thanks for your tips, got a couple of Enid Blyton books yesterday, started reading one to them (think I may need a dictionary next to me)!
I too work full time and a single parent, so time is scarce, but it needs to be a priority, plus it's nice to lie in bed and read to them, just like when they were babies!!! :D
All the basics are important regardless of what school they may end up going to, so I think it's a good time to start.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

1203 Tommy - with regard to encouraging reading-
My 12 year old daughter now at Grammar school remembers her "Sparkle the Sugar Fairy" (or whatever) book days with some embarrassment. But recommends all Jacqueline Wilson books as a great read for girls aged 8- 13. Check the titles, some are specifically for younger girls and some are much more suitable for early teens.

Both my kids enjoyed the Percy Jackson series by Rick O'Riordan too.
MOOSHOO15

Post by MOOSHOO15 »

My two DDs read Harry Potter, Michael Morpurgo, CS Lewis, Percy Jackson, Enid Blyton, Jacqueline Wilson and some of the Classics - Whay Katy Did, etc. I don't think it matters what they read - as long as it isn't Manga!!! Nothing wrong with Manga, but I don't think it will benefit them in any way for the eleven plus!! The funny thing is that DD1 is an avid reader, DD2 less so - I was completely panic-stricken going into the test that DD2 did not have an adequate vocabulary to do herself justice. I think what I lost sight of is that they are ten year olds just giving it their best against other ten year olds.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

I'm attempting to be a really bad parent, and trying to convince him to reading Salems Lot, so he can have nightmares about Danny Glick knocking at his bedroom window
I left a Dean Koontz out and ds1 didnt sleep for a week after reading the cover :shock: :oops: Im more careful now! :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

....hmmm perhaps I should take my Stephanie Meyer back off him then?I think from the gasps coming from his room its come as a shock after Horrid Henry :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now