SHS Summer showcase.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluffyCat

Re: SHS Summer showcase.

Post by FluffyCat »

Agree with you Stroudydad. I would also rather have been shown around by girls who actually went to the school in Y7-11 than by Y12's who joined last year.

Also a bit puzzled by the info about 11+ in the pack we were given.
"We will contact you...to inform you whether or not your daughter has a qualifying score...However this does not guarantee a place at this stage as we cannot tell whereabouts in the rank order your daughter will come."

So does that mean that we won't know whether they are in the top 120 or if they are 231 on the reserve list? Why the change from previous years? Or am I reading too much into it?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Cross posted with you livviloo :) , agree absolutely with younger girls showing around. We were shown around another grammar by Y8 girls. Much more informative, and DD can relate better to them too.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Anyone who wants warts and all feel free to contact me on pm. Have had a dd at shs from year 7 and she just about to go into year 13 xx I agree re younger boys and girls doing showing around. A year 8 showed us around crypt and my DS asked lots of questions himself, something he wouldn't do in a big group with a year 12
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Kinda glad it wasn't just me.. The two girls showing us round had been in since year 7 but were honestly useless. And ours was quite a small group. Loved the head though, seemed like a proud head of school, rather than trying to be your best friend.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Must have been luck of the draw, I guess - we had 2 lovely year 10 girls to show us around in a fairly small group and found the teachers welcoming and willing to explain what their class was doing and how their subject is taught in year 7. I am biased of course, because I have a DD in year 7 but my DD2 was very impressed. I do agree though, that the school could have sold itself more - I was hoping for DD2 to see science experiments in progress and perhaps a chance to use the PE equipment as we have done at other open days.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Science experiments & the like happen at the open evening in September, and you'll be shown it by younger pupils. Much more of a fun event, and very child focused.
Capers
relievedit'sallover

Post by relievedit'sallover »

I agree with a lot of the comments, we were very lucky and had 3 lovely girls who spoke to our 9 year olds, answered all their questions and were very informative, however perhaps "Open Morning" would have been closer to the mark as it was simply a normal school day, "Showcase" implied much more interaction than there actually was. It's good to know September will give more opportunities to look around for the children. Still really love the school and very happy DD1 is going in Sept !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now