Denmark Rd

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sunshine 11

Re: Denmark Rd

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Cup of tea wrote:

Let's be honest, any school's equestrian "team" is more to do with the pastime/interest of the family rather than the school getting together for a weekly practice?! I have a brilliant picture in my mind of all horsey kids turning up for Tuesday afternoon horse trials on the playing field!! Hahaha!!!
For my DD riding is part of who she is and for her it is high on her priority list. The equestrian teams have a fab time and compete at Hartpury.

Of course it's very true some schools suit some and others suit others. If the other aspects were overwhelming for her to out weigh not having it maybe it would be different. This one just isn't for us I guess. Glad I went. By the heads own admission some of the classrooms are awful hence the new building project.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Have to agree with Stressed Moi- both are good schools - my DD is really happy at Ribston - I thought it might suit her quirky, creative personality and she certainly had her own mind and preferred it, logistically it is also better for us. Her primary school BF is equally happy at HSFG.
It is things like the dance, art and Lamda drama that dd wanted to do that swung it for us but I do feel she is getting to grips with more academic subjects too - doing the junior maths challenge yesterday, after school science lectures and plenty curriculum related trips to the literature and science festivals. I am sure HSFG does similar and may offer some slightly different subject or extra curricular options that may suit some children more than others.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:It's funny but I wasn't keen on Denmark but loved Ribston. My best friend was the opposite though and didn't like Ribston at all. Fortunately it all worked out well with the girls getting the schools they wanted and they are both very happy. My dd loves dance (although there certainly isn't a huge emphasis on it), drama and languages so Ribston is ideal for her. My friend's daughter is more academic and prefers more "serious subjects" so Denmark suits her better. We are all very lucky to have these schools as they are both excellent. Horses for courses.
Only know about Ribston what we learnt when visiting last year. We were definitely given the impression that dance was 'huge'! lol! :lol: The head mentioned it 4 times in her welcome speech & our young guides told us about the compulsory dance lessons for younger years & how fantastic the dance studio was(which it was!) We had the same experience as you that my DD & her school friends had very different views! We & a few others loved Denmark others loved Ribston, all down to personal taste & both great schools :)
Last edited by Watermelon8 on Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11nonplussed

Post by 11nonplussed »

Ditto all the people who express the view 'horses for courses' if you'll pardon the pun :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I for one have a daughter immensely happy at Denmark (year 9) who didn't like the feel of ribston.. I cannot fault Denmark and she has been encouraged to blossom and has done so in so many ways. Everyone will have their own personal views,needs and requirements. We should celebrate the choice. Equestrian team tho ?! :lol:
bananabrain

Post by bananabrain »

Just re read this thread and am confused; have you edited your original post Sunshine?
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

bananabrain wrote:Just re read this thread and am confused; have you edited your original post Sunshine?
I think so bananabrain. However if you look at my first post, I have quoted sunshine's first unedited post which is far more inflammatory than the edited one. It seemed to imply there were no good teachers or pastoral care at Denmark Road and that it was worse than Ribston!
Although I can see sunshine's point-to-point I think she realises this topic is proving to be a bit of a mare and we all have our odds-on favourite schools!!
Sorry couldn't resist!! :D
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

DD will be starting at HSFG in September and has never wanted to go to any other school. She would have been bitterly disappointed not to qualify but,when we were looking, we were very aware that grammar schools are options rather than choices. We learnt the hard way with DC1 that it doesn't matter how much you like a particular school if the results don't go your way. Fortunately, on both occasions things have turned out for the best in the long term. But it may come down to whether wanting a grammar school place full stop is the most important thing for you and your child and not that a specific grammar is the only option.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Cup of tea wrote:
bananabrain wrote:Just re read this thread and am confused; have you edited your original post Sunshine?
I think so bananabrain. However if you look at my first post, I have quoted sunshine's first unedited post which is far more inflammatory than the edited one. It seemed to imply there were no good teachers or pastoral care at Denmark Road and that it was worse than Ribston!
Although I can see sunshine's point-to-point I think she realises this topic is proving to be a bit of a mare and we all have our odds-on favourite schools!!

:lol:

DD can't wait to start Denmark in September, feel blessed that she has a grammar place when so many bright children have missed out this year or are waiting on appeal!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Cup of tea wrote:

:lol:

DD can't wait to start Denmark in September, feel blessed that she has a grammar place when so many bright children have missed out this year or are waiting on appeal!
Agreed Watermelon. DD is also starting HSFG in September and can't wait! We were very relaxed about the whole process and our view was that the level she passed at was where she was meant to be and would be happiest. We are thrilled she is going to HSFG. :D :D :D

I am shocked at Sunshine's opinionated unedited post!! Plus I would rather DD goes skiing than horseriding any day! :P
Flash

Post by Flash »

Great News!! :D :D :D :D :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-27284990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now