Keep us posted! Comparison between old and new tests.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DebsB

Re: Keep us posted! Comparison between old and new tests.

Post by DebsB »

Apologies for coming a bit late to this discussion, but I'd be interested to hear how DC with dyslexia found the old and new tests. Fortunately my dyslexic DS wasn't interested in GS, because he'd have had to do the old style test but he'd never have been able to learn to do all those VR things, and he wouldn't have had any chance to show how good he is at maths or NVR, or even the parts of English that involve appreciating the subtleties of literature rather than the mechanics of reading the words. He's at a good comp and it's the right school for him.

DD is not dyslexic and did the new test this year. She's good all-rounder academically and had a bit of help from a tutor but nothing very intensive or high powered. She got in the top 120 for HSFG (we didn't share with any other schools). She felt that what she did with the tutor was quite helpful but the skills she learnt in maths and English at school were helpful too. It seems fairer to me - I felt that the inclusion of maths and English put her at less of a disadvantage compared with DC from indy schools where they're prepared for the GS test. (Not that I have anything against indy schools, but they're unaffordable for my kids, and I want my kids to have as fair a chance as possible.)