new test, year 5, any pointers?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Re: new test, year 5, any pointers?

Post by Tolstoy »

It is early days so you don't need to panic re maths, I got my DS up to speed for the Bucks NR section in two weeks. DH simply grabbed some WHSmiths year 6 books when he was in the country and we went through them very quickly to ensure he had covered all topics. Like your DD he picked it up quickly. We supported that with FPTP short papers to get an idea of sitting a test. In the actual test he failed to answer at least 8 questions because he ran out of time. I also noticed rather late in the day that he struggled with problem solving. The Gloucester test will be more competitive though so slightly more prep needed.

DS4 will sit in Bucks next September, re maths I am using the same series but for the moment just ensuring we have covered Y4 stuff as we have come from abroad. I am hoping he will be moved up a set in maths and if that happens then I will wait until the summer term and then concentrate on problem solving. If not I will go onto cover Y5 and 6 work at home especially as he seems happy to do it unlike older DSs. Most importantly I will be making sure his mental arithmetic is up to speed, at the moment he doesn't know his tables very well.

The NVR I will leave until the end of the summer, just before he sits the test, as I am pretty certain he will be fine with them, seems to be a genetic strength in this family. DS passed the section having just done two of the old GL NVR papers, all I could get my hands on with short notice.

The VR I can't advise on as it was a disaster for us but under the circumstances I knew it would be.

For DS4 I am currently just covering Y4 English work, as in maths, to ensure he is up to speed. He is in a good primary school so I am trusting that will help but we will be concentrating on vocab. Playing scrabble but allowing him to use an app to find words with his letters under the proviso he tells us the meaning when he puts it down. Using the dictionary tab on the kindle, word searches,etc. After Easter I will practice comprehensions and then during the summer do some test practice.

I do agree it seems a far more worth while test to tutor for as it will improve school work and produce higher SATs levels for the child and hence artificially improve some schools' league table positions. Whether that makes for a fairer test is a whole different question. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now