Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 2016.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tolstoy

Re: Marling and SHS to increase PAN to 150 from September 20

Post by Tolstoy »

I'm not sure how it works with the league tables but schools seem very reluctant to allow DC year 11 entry. Two I encountered forced them to go back a year. Also repeating Y11 in a different school wasn't really an option. I therefore suspect the rules have changed but am interested to know what they are now.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I would be interested to know too. My DS is 30 August birthday and I tried so hard to get him held back as he was(is!) so immature. They said he could, but would then have to join the same classmates the following September. This seemed pointless as he would have been learning differently at home with me and, peer groups would have been formed. I'd like to say it worked out in the end because he's now qualified for STR and Crypt but I can't. He has had way too many tellings-off and punishments over the years because he was so immature that I don't think it was worth it. I read recently that there was a move for councils to make decisions on an individual basis, which makes far more sense. Too late for us, but hope it helps others.
DebsB

Post by DebsB »

Tolstoy wrote:I'm not sure how it works with the league tables but schools seem very reluctant to allow DC year 11 entry. Two I encountered forced them to go back a year. Also repeating Y11 in a different school wasn't really an option. I therefore suspect the rules have changed but am interested to know what they are now.
Most schools teach GCSEs as a two year course in Y10 & 11, apart from a few (Pate's I think) that make DC choose their subjects earlier and teach them over 3 years starting in Y9. Within the two (or 3) years of the course, schools can make their own decisions about which exam board's syllabus to use, and which order to teach the topics. If somebody arrives in Y11, they will not have studied the same topics as the rest of the class who've been there during Y10, so it's a very tall order to expect them to catch up all the topics they've missed. This is not primarily a concern about league tables. Educationally, it's just not a good time to move schools between Y10 and Y11.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

DD who is in year 11 at SHS has pointed that though there may be space to bring in an extra year class of 30 students, PE changing rooms and cafeteria facilities are currently crammed to bursting.....
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Alice in Underland wrote:DD who is in year 11 at SHS has pointed that though there may be space to bring in an extra year class of 30 students, PE changing rooms and cafeteria facilities are currently crammed to bursting.....

Unfortunately, facilities aren't always catered for within expansion plans which is annoying. It's like housing developers who promise sweetners of new schools to cope with influxes of new residents only ever build primaries with no consideration of what happens when kids reach 11. On a new estate near us, new primary classes have been organised, but I haven't heard about senior school expansion.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Alice in Underland wrote:DD who is in year 11 at SHS has pointed that though there may be space to bring in an extra year class of 30 students, PE changing rooms and cafeteria facilities are currently crammed to bursting.....
I'm told that this is actually something that the school council are discussing already, without even thinking about the potential rise in PAN.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

I assume that so many grammar schools are looking to increase numbers this year because of the election in May. Whilst this government has indicated that they can increase numbers if the demand is there, the next government may put a stop to any expansion. Thus if the schools get it approved now for 2016 entry they are safe.
Alice in Underland

Post by Alice in Underland »

I have heard it rumoured that work to finish the huge new, long needed extension at Marling has stopped due to lack of funds. Can anyone enlighten me ?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Alice in Underland wrote:I have heard it rumoured that work to finish the huge new, long needed extension at Marling has stopped due to lack of funds. Can anyone enlighten me ?

I heard that the builders had gone bust! Perhaps better not to trust the rumour mill...
dams

Post by dams »

It seems the number of Year 7 places available at Pate's will be increased to 150 from Sept 2016, they have updated the admission policy on their website...