Movement in year 7. How many places become available?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Watermelon8

Re: Movement in year 7. How many places become available?

Post by Watermelon8 »

DC17C wrote:Interesting Crypt have announced they will be hearing 80 appeals this year...
Which is interesting especially as they also said they are completely full for y7 in sept! Wonder how many more you can squeeze in if you've filled all your places??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Watermelon8 wrote:
DC17C wrote:Interesting Crypt have announced they will be hearing 80 appeals this year...
Which is interesting especially as they also said they are completely full for y7 in sept! Wonder how many more you can squeeze in if you've filled all your places??
It is a legal requirement that appeals have to be heard - if an appeal is submitted, the school cannot say, we will only allow 'this many' to be heard.

I would say, obviously nowhere near that many would be allowed - but in theory, if the school made a complete hash of presenting its case, it could have a problem on its hands.

In the normal course of events, the school would make a sufficient case that the panel would decide that all individual cases would need to be heard. Each case is considered on its own merits.

In the event, it is likely that some of the 80 will withdraw due to having been offered other schools (or even the school in question) from the waiting list, or because, having had to submit their appeal pretty soon after March 1st in order to have it considered in the main round of appeals, since then the parents and child have reflected more deeply on their original allocation and decided to stick with it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
cazien

Post by cazien »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Being the devils advocate, dare I state they are only full for PAN :?: I think Crypt are being a little devious by not increasing PAN - as they have 5 forms per year now and with 112 PAN = 22ish per class.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:
Being the devils advocate, dare I state they are only full for PAN :?: I think Crypt are being a little devious by not increasing PAN - as they have 5 forms per year now and with 112 PAN = 22ish per class.
Are the classrooms at the school significantly smaller than those at other Gloucestershire schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
cazien

Post by cazien »

ToadMum wrote:
Are the classrooms at the school significantly smaller than those at other Gloucestershire schools?
No - normal sizes. They have had quite a lot of new builds/renovations which has increased the number of classrooms. They have nearly always had 28-32ish pupils per class, but with pupil numbers increasing year-on-year they have introduced a 5th form, I think for the current yrs 7 and 8.

They can accommodate higher numbers - they are increasing PAN to 150 in 2018.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
No - normal sizes. They have had quite a lot of new builds/renovations which has increased the number of classrooms. They have nearly always had 28-32ish pupils per class, but with pupil numbers increasing year-on-year they have introduced a 5th form, I think for the current yrs 7 and 8.

They can accommodate higher numbers - they are increasing PAN to 150 in 2018.
Assuming that that info is freely available out in the wild, so to speak, that would-be something for a parent to bring up when they have the opportunity to question the school's representative about the school's case at the appeal. I can't see that the school would-be able to make a very strong case that they can't take more than 112 this year if they have already got the teaching staff for five 'units' of students in the year this year and the classrooms are able to hold the previous class sizes of the same total total in fewer 'units'. The 'too many in the canteen / in the corridors at movement time' issue wouldn't really hold water if the plan is to have an extra 190 students in total in years 7-11 in five years from the 2018 intake, unless they are saying that the increase in PAN is dependent on further building work being undertake between now and then?
cazien

Post by cazien »

ToadMum wrote:

Assuming that that info is freely available out in the wild, so to speak, that would-be something for a parent to bring up when they have the opportunity to question the school's representative about the school's case at the appeal. I can't see that the school would-be able to make a very strong case that they can't take more than 112 this year if they have already got the teaching staff for five 'units' of students in the year this year and the classrooms are able to hold the previous class sizes of the same total total in fewer 'units'. The 'too many in the canteen / in the corridors at movement time' issue wouldn't really hold water if the plan is to have an extra 190 students in total in years 7-11 in five years from the 2018 intake, unless they are saying that the increase in PAN is dependent on further building work being undertake between now and then?

The increase in PAN is on the "Admissions for 2018 Policy" on the Crypt website. They are in the process of experimenting with movement in corridors and on stairs - recently implementing a one way system - and have started to stagger lunch times. Think the appeals would have to focus on academic ability. They have a number of staff leaving at the end of this year, but no more than the "usual" turnover. Don't know if they have any more building work planned - but I would expect more :!:
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

There can be movement throughout the year and the year groups. I know that in Y7 2 girls left that I know of - one moved away and the other decided Grammar school wasn't for her. In Y8, 2 girls left from my daughter's tutor group, one around February I think (moved to another girls Grammar) and another at the end of the school year (has gone to a Comprehensive School). Each time there have been new girls that have moved into the vacant places.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now