Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Post by stroudydad »

For those interested in stats, the update from the head is that SHS has a progress8 of 0.92 - which according to him gives Stroud High the highest progress8 in the county, and 31st in the country.
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:For those interested in stats, the update from the head is that SHS has a progress8 of 0.92 - which according to him gives Stroud High the highest progress8 in the county, and 31st in the country.
True as far as it goes: the data for 16-18 are rather less illustrious for them however. And looking at different measures (also available on the same dataset) shows a different picture.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... rovisional" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (11-16)

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... lter=final" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (16-18)

If you click on the headers at the top of those columns it will re-sort the data by different criteria. I have added a few schools for comparison.

What those charts show is that if you add enough criteria, everyone can come top at something! :lol:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Completely agree Amber, it did mention that it was for GCSE, but as you know I'm not a stat fan anyway.
The links you posted just seem to open up the search/header page. I'll have a closer look when I'm not on a mobile:-)
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:Completely agree Amber, it did mention that it was for GCSE, but as you know I'm not a stat fan anyway.
The links you posted just seem to open up the search/header page. I'll have a closer look when I'm not on a mobile:-)
Damn! For me they work but maybe that is because I am the owner of the search or something. The page is easy to interact with but I can tell you that SHS is bottom out of the ten schools I entered for the same measure at A level, for example. I can get it to copy in massive form here by doing a screen shot and image upload but can't do it small because I am too stupid (and am making sourdough at the same time!). But the list for Progress at A level (with my self selected schools, not the county rankings - only Crypt has an above average score there and then only just by the narrowest of margins):

The Crypt School
Marling School
Pate's Grammar School
Sir Thomas Rich's School
Balcarras School
Cleeve School
High School for Girls
Katharine Lady Berkeley's School
Ribston Hall High School
Stroud High School

Putting other things first like average grade at GCSE or A level gives a different list again - more predictable perhaps.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

stroudydad wrote:Some of you may already know this but DD came home yesterday saying that Year 11 had had a special talk from the head.. whilst this is only from my daughters mouth I have no reason to disbelieve her. It would appear that one of the year 11 girls took some substance whilst in her form room last week that has caused her to be off school for over a week. DD just said 'he wasn't best pleased'
My dd was in the talk as well....very unfortunate...but I guess the only way is to make it clear this is not acceptable...
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Amber wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Completely agree Amber, it did mention that it was for GCSE, but as you know I'm not a stat fan anyway.
Damn! For me they work but maybe that is because I am the owner of the search or something. The page is easy to interact with but I can tell you that SHS is bottom out of the ten schools I entered for the same measure at A level, for example. I can get it to copy in massive form here by doing a screen shot and image upload but can't do it small because I am too stupid (and am making sourdough at the same time!). But the list for Progress at A level (with my self selected schools, not the county rankings - only Crypt has an above average score there and then only just by the narrowest of margins):

The Crypt School
Marling School
Pate's Grammar School
Sir Thomas Rich's School
Balcarras School
Cleeve School
High School for Girls
Katharine Lady Berkeley's School
Ribston Hall High School
Stroud High School

Putting other things first like average grade at GCSE or A level gives a different list again - more predictable perhaps.
That's really interesting. Particularly because Marling and SHS share a sixth form and the subjects are taught by a teacher from each school.
Amber

Post by Amber »

FluffyCat wrote:That's really interesting. Particularly because Marling and SHS share a sixth form and the subjects are taught by a teacher from each school.
Gosh yes I wonder how that works then. The table of attainment at A level has differences between them too, with the average A level grade at SHS apparently being B and at Marling B-. Another reason to view statistics with scepticism I guess.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Amber wrote:
FluffyCat wrote:That's really interesting. Particularly because Marling and SHS share a sixth form and the subjects are taught by a teacher from each school.
Gosh yes I wonder how that works then. The table of attainment at A level has differences between them too, with the average A level grade at SHS apparently being B and at Marling B-. Another reason to view statistics with scepticism I guess.

From my dd’s perspective it works brilliantly as there is a decent cohort of young people doing the subjects she wants to do rather than being in a very small group if she had stayed where she did her GSCE’s. She has the benefit of a completely Co - ed sixth form rather than one dominated by boys or girls.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DC17C wrote:
Amber wrote:

From my dd’s perspective it works brilliantly as there is a decent cohort of young people doing the subjects she wants to do rather than being in a very small group if she had stayed where she did her GSCE’s. She has the benefit of a completely Co - ed sixth form rather than one dominated by boys or girls.
Sorry, that isn't what I meant. I meant I wondered how the statistics for the two schools were so different when they are essentially the same one.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

In essence they are taught together but are still classed as either Marling or SHS students. So entered into exams by separaate entitities. I guess the difference is actually down to the battle of the sexes..?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now