STRS or Pates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: STRS or Pates?

Post by Amber »

cheltdragonfly wrote:Good to hear personal recommendations about care and support.
^^ That, with personal experience. Utterly blown away by that at STR. If pastoral care is top of your list, STR is your place. I have had children at both of your potential schools.
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

cheltdragonfly wrote:
Kaybee wrote:Hi there!
We are also in a similar situation - DS in with a chance of getting into Pates (he's outside the PAN) which is very easy for him to get to (he can walk) as opposed to him getting the bus to STR. I didn't realise that about the induction at STR so it's good to hear that.
We have visited both this week. We feel he'd be very happy at either but he showed a strong preference to STR. He likes the idea of being at a boys school and can see himself there more. He was totally put off / filled with horror by the idea of taking part in a production at Pates. He hates any kind of drama / musical production and this is his main reason for not liking Pates. He would also be the only one going there from his primary school and his friends are important to him (but in reality there will only be one or two others going to STR)
We are therefore undecided about the CAF form. I appreciate this is a great dilemma to have and ultimately we are thrilled that he will be at one or the other.
Yes, the Y8's we had showing us round at STR said that they felt the induction day where they did 'problem solving', and the residential trip to Stratford in the first term really helped them settle in quickly and get to know their form group. They were so positive and it left a lasting impression. My son is torn though, because he also loves all the outdoor education activities, rifle shooting etc. that is offered by Pate's.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks for your reply. Yes my son was also impressed by the outdoor avtivities on offer at Pates - but it seems that the panini's on offer in the canteen at STR is a major factor too!! :lol: The things that are important to a ten year old eh?!

Good luck with your decision too!
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Amber wrote:
cheltdragonfly wrote:Good to hear personal recommendations about care and support.
^^ That, with personal experience. Utterly blown away by that at STR. If pastoral care is top of your list, STR is your place. I have had children at both of your potential schools.
Seconded (thirded!). STRS goes way above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion for pastoral care.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

My DS is at STR and loves it. He is not sporty and that has not been a problem. In the younger years he took part in various clubs that suited him, including drama and warhammer. The food at lunchtime or breaktime, especially the panini's, are popular with him and his friends.

As a family we have already had difficult issues whilst he has been there and they have made it clear to him that he can have as much or as little support as he needs. This is brilliant for him and the knowledge that the staff know if he gets upset means he doesn't have to worry.

STR also do Duke of Edinburgh scheme and nearly all of his year took part in the Bronze award.
cheltdragonfly

Post by cheltdragonfly »

Does anyone have any information on the amount of homework set at Pate's during KS3? Are assignments set during holidays? Have information from open day but good to know reality of experience.

Also, does anyone know if Mandarin is available at Tommies?
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

KS3 homework at Pate's seemed to be fine. About half an hour a night from memory - about the same as my other child at SHS. I don't recall there being vast amounts (if any) in the holidays, or indeed at any time during KS3.
Amber

Post by Amber »

cheltdragonfly wrote:Does anyone have any information on the amount of homework set at Pate's during KS3? Are assignments set during holidays? Have information from open day but good to know reality of experience.

Also, does anyone know if Mandarin is available at Tommies?
It isn't.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now