Sixth Forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Sixth Forms

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:With the slight caveat that if someone chose to leave our 6th form to go elsewhere and then changed their mind, coming back would not be an option as it would already be full, or if there were by some small miracle a space, the chances of their being spaces in, and the timetable fitting their preferred A level choices, would be super slim. (The timetable is set according to the choices of the kids who accept their place on GCSE results day, rather than kids having to choose from blocks.)
I would have said that too, but I know a child who left because he didn't get the grades to return. He had a subject remarked and came back again when the grade went up. I also know a girl who left to go to a local private school and returned to another grammar as she hated it so much. So I think there is perhaps more leeway than there might seem - the schools I am talking about here are the two 'top' grammars in the area.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There are always exceptions to the rule - playing devil's advocate, the first case you cited is right and proper - the grade was wrong, so I guess he was effectively, wrongly, not offered a place in the first place - the second I note you said she went to another grammar - why not the one she left? Possibly it was full?

When I made my comment I was specifically talking about "our" school, where I am not aware of anyone leaving to go elsewhere and then being able to come back because they didn't like it - but, in this case, it's a small school, so I think they have to make sure they are full from the off - and this may mean going down the list to offer someone a place (usually someone who was there till Y11) who just missed a guaranteed offer. I am not aware of anyone who joined the 6th form leaving in the first few weeks because they didn't like it, either, but quite possibly there are!
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:T the second I note you said she went to another grammar - why not the one she left? Possibly it was full?
Ah no, I meant that she went to a different one from the first case. It was the same one she had left.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! A case of eats, shoots and leaves....!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol! A case of eats, shoots and leaves....!!
I wasn't very clear, tbh. I knew what I meant and I expected everyone else to! Story of my life. :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

There does seem to have been an awful lot of 'musicamusical schools' in our neck of the woods this time round . DD, like quite a few others, moved from one grammar to another and is staying put (as far as I know), but two of her year that I know of have moved twice and one of those will apparently be restarting year 12 back at their original school next September. (The school is known to be accommodating when it comes to 'prodigal daughters').

Another of DD's friends in the year above was on her way to an alternative establishment after disastrous AS results, but was allowed back (albeit to 'start again') after ringing up on the first day of term and mentioning the magic words, 'St Olaves' :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:lol: :lol: Funnily enough, I popped over to look at their alternative site earlier today - all is still not completely good in da hood....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote::lol: :lol: Funnily enough, I popped over to look at their alternative site earlier today - all is still not completely good in da hood....
Had a look myself just now - as a serial and indeed parallel ''PTA / PA person', I was particularly taken by the reports of the goings-on in that quarter. Almost as good a laugh as the comments on FB re the 'humiliated in Waitrose' woman :lol: .

Off-topic, sorry :oops: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't understand these last few posts - could you perhaps explain ToadMum? Are these about sixth forms in Gloucestershire? Sorry. :oops:
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

Amber wrote:I don't understand these last few posts - could you perhaps explain ToadMum? Are these about sixth forms in Gloucestershire? Sorry. :oops:
Not just me then - I am confused too :?