Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by stroudydad »

None of this is instilling confidence that DS Will get a place at Marling :shock:
Tomorrow is proving to possibly be the day from ****,
I have a horrific job to do at work, it's allocation day,and also the day the Arkwright scholarships announce who's selected for interview.. :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:None of this is instilling confidence that DS Will get a place at Marling :shock:
I have a horrific job to do at work, it's allocation day,and also the day the Arkwright scholarships announce who's selected for interview.. :roll:
So bad you said it twice stroudydad.

Sometimes the worst days turn out to be the best, you know. Meditate, follow the breath...

And good luck - my fingers are crossed for you.
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

stroudydad wrote:None of this is instilling confidence that DS Will get a place at Marling :shock:
I’ve also gone from thinking all should be OK to now thinking of waiting lists, re-shuffles and appeals. :( .
Shoemaker

Post by Shoemaker »

Stroudydad, I hope that your day goes better than expected :) If all the speculation on this thread turns out to be true, it would seem that my DS ( one of the last to achieve a qualifying score at Crypt ) may have a chance of a place there after all. If so, then his place at Marling will be opened up as we ranked Crypt above Marling on our CAF form. Hope this helps your chances.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

MountainDweller wrote:
I’ve also gone from thinking all should be OK to now thinking of waiting lists, re-shuffles and appeals. :( .

My brain is too full of other things to worry past a few days ahead.. if I worried about that I would likely forget my own childrens names..
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:My brain is too full of other things to worry past a few days ahead.. if I worried about that I would likely forget my own childrens names..
You should have done what I read on a blog the other day... someone whose first daughter was called Eleanor was wondering if Elena was too similar for the second daughter she was about to produce. If you had had the foresight to think in those terms when they were born you would only have one name to remember.

Sorry, OT.
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

icantthinkofagoodone wrote:
FFF1-8 wrote:

Watermelon8 wrote:

Friends who just did no prep on moral grounds with their dcs didn’t stand a chance sadly as their bright children did not achieve qualifying scores. Just weren’t up to speed time management wise, had little experience of actual papers & techniques so at a major disadvantage as just ran out of time & left lots blank. They are now scraping to pay for indie fees (despite academic scholarships) :(

Then they should appeal on non-qualification grounds with their academic evidence of fantastic CAT scores and predicted or actual SAT scores. They and the appeal panel will be able to access the children's answer sheets which will show that it was poor time management that led to the non-qualification and that the answers they did complete are correct. They will be able to argue the case that they did no preparation at all (not even buy the papers from a high street store and look over them) and no tutoring (not even from mum/dad/family friend) which led to the timing issues.

Absolutely agree - panels I have sat on have upheld many appeals in this situation - providing the academic evidence stacked up.
However - neither the schools or the panel will have access to the answer sheets. All they are given is the number of questions attempted, and of these, the number that are correct.
"They and the appeal panel will be able to access the children's answer sheets which will show that it was poor time management..."
"All they are given is the number of questions attempted, and of these, the number that are correct"

Same difference in this case. I was trying to allude to the fact they won't see the question sheet but will be able to see how many questions attempted/answered to prove that the child may have only scored 30% but only attempted 31% of questions. And yes, I also know it isn't scored by percentages.
cazien

Post by cazien »

It is going to be a very difficult day for anyone to predict what could happen. I feel for you.

If the figures that have been reported on here are correct, 2500 registered for the test, 1200 shared with Pates, 1800 shared with Crypt, that means any of these 700 either :-
a) did not opt for a co-ed school
b) could have achieved a rank for single sex school
c) did not sit the test

I am expecting Crypt to have unfilled places. They have been in this position for at least 3 out of the last six years that I know of, but have resolved the issue before school starts in September. Crypt have arranged info evenings to try and reduce the number of telephone calls and email enquiries about allocations - or lack of :!: . I would not like to be the person who has to "estimate" how many ranks are needed to fill PAN this year. There are too many statistical equations thrown into the mix - if everyone shared with every school it would make "guesstimates" easier :).

As has been said on here, DC's who have ranked for STR have opted for Crypt, DC's who have ranked for Pates have opted for other schools and I know of DC's who have ranks at GS's have opted for Comps. Not everyone wants a co-ed school for personal, religious/ethnic reasons. Not everyone wants to travel miles to school. Not everyone believes a Grammar school education is affordable. DC's may not want a GS education but their have sat the test to please their parents.

Good luck tomorrow. Sorry but, I am so glad my 11+ journey is over. :twisted:
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Shoemaker wrote:

Stroudydad, I hope that your day goes better than expected :) If all the speculation on this thread turns out to be true, it would seem that my DS ( one of the last to achieve a qualifying score at Crypt ) may have a chance of a place there after all. If so, then his place at Marling will be opened up as we ranked Crypt above Marling on our CAF form. Hope this helps your chances.
Thank you... I hope your son gets his first choice, (and not only because it helps my cause I promise) still only 1 left to go after this...
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Well, it’s nearly over & we’ll soon know the Crypt numbers. Introducing another gender is always going to be a slow burn as few would want their child to be potentially 1 of only a tiny number in that first co-ed year. Many moons ago, my DH’s sch went co-ed & 3 girls took up places that 1st year. It is now fully co-ed with similar nos. of both genders. I would imagine Crypt next year will be a very different story. Just hoping our friends who are desperate for Crypt but got really low ranks or we’re outside the cut off, will get places so freeing up Marling places they don’t want (not because they don’t like it but because they don’t want a long journey to school for their boys). Good luck everyone :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now