Crypt 2018 Reallocation outcome

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Crypt 2018 Reallocation outcome

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:But, it would be boring if we agreed Amber :wink:
Oh I can easily agree on two points there - that it will grow in popularity and that Pates isn't for everyone. Interesting you say that the girl starters you know of 'didn't want' Pates though - did they actually pass for Pates? On the popularity front - one does wonder how selective 'selective' will be in future. Personally as an opponent of the principle of selection I would be very happy to see Crypt become a true comprehensive, such as we do not have in Gloucestershire, but I know from the governors' minutes that they are worried about exactly that scenario which is why they pitched in too high this time.

Interesting times ahead, though in the big scheme of chronic and deliberate government underfunding of state education, really a tiny detail, sadly.
They pitched too high rank wise but they haven’t lowered their standards imo. The new qualification bracket is just letting in boys(mostly)who would’ve got in last year but were pushed out due to the increase in shares. Local schs who traditionally send 6+ to Crypt had 1 or 2 instead. Not because the cohort was not as bright but because so many girls shared then didn’t take the leap. My ds’ year has always been a good year & before the results we expected the usual 6 to Tommies, 6 to Crypt but it didn’t happen as only the Tommies/Pates passers also got Crypt & mostly chose Tommies due to being nearer. Those boys pushed out of the crypt places are now getting in via the rank change & some will appeal. Friend’s in similar schs report the same.
Ok, Do please feel free to shout at me if you want but... you say Crypt haven't lowered their mark- which may be true, but in that case they definitely made a deliberate attempt to 'jump up the heirachy by their initial pass mark. It's one or the other.. it can't be both...
Further, by now suggesting they are the level that they usually are, that does then place them at the bottom and least selective of the grammars... history shows that..
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote:The new qualification bracket is just letting in boys(mostly)who would’ve got in last year but were pushed out due to the increase in shares.
I don't think it was the increase in shares so much as the gross miscalculation of the mark needed to gain a place.
WM8 wrote:Not because the cohort was not as bright but because so many girls shared then didn’t take the leap
Once you give parents the option to share scores with a school, as history shows, they will do so, whether or not they have any intention at all of sending their children there. This is a nasty side-effect of the system we have in Gloucestershire and I am guilty of it too - sharing DS2's score with 3 schools (Pates, Marling and Crypt) which we had no intention of ever sending him to. Sadly it skews the figures, but it does make it easier for parents whose children only pass for one of those schools to say 'well you passed the 11+', which is psychologically important. I don't think many girls 'didn't take the leap' so much as that their parents employed logic similar to mine and also as the Ribston/Crypt relativity might have been skewed by the entrance of girls into the market, it was a safer thing than not ticking the box. It will all shake down over the next few years I am sure. :)
Silentdraperunners

Post by Silentdraperunners »

It's been a while since the last post on this but I was wondering whether anyone knew whether there are still places at Crypt?
We've done everything very late - my son took the test this week. We've just heard from STR's that he is ranked equivalent 60th (ie that would have been his rank if he'd done it at the same time as everyone else) but this obviously doesn't get him a place. I was wondering whether he might be offered a place at Crypt if they still have some to fill...
If anyone knows, I'd be grateful for any info. Thanks!
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

When I was there last week they said they had 125 places filled and 170 appeals to hear. I'm presuming the appeals are under way now so that might have changed.
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

We received a letter on Tuesday regarding our appeal and it stated they had 161 appeals and 29 available spaces.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

We received a letter on Tuesday regarding our appeal and it stated they had 161 appeals and 29 available spaces.
Three thoughts:
1. When they moved the pass ranking from top 600 to top 800 they had 65 places, so they have had net movement of 40 by qualifying an additional 200 students. Therefore you'd expect they'd need to shift the ranking to top 925 at least to fill their places.
2. With 161 appeals, at least they'll have a full house come September.
3. At the end of all these changes, which looked seizmic back in the autumn, we have a situation where the most selective grammar is Pates, next are HSFG and STRS which are roughly equivalent, then next SHS and Marling, which are roughly equivalent, then Crypt and Ribston, which are roughly equivalent. So basically, no change at all, except some more grammar places for the county. :roll:

I think Rachm you have a good case that you should have qualified. I expect some of the appeals are driven by people taking a chance because of the extreme undersubscription, as well as some near misses like your case, and the usual extenuating circumstances.

Best of luck.
Silentdraperunners

Post by Silentdraperunners »

Rachm82 wrote:We received a letter on Tuesday regarding our appeal and it stated they had 161 appeals and 29 available spaces.
Ok, so I am hoping that if he got a 60 rank for STR's then he should get a rank at Crypt that is good enough to be offered a place. Even though he sat the test at The Crypt, they haven't been in touch about his results and we don't know how he has ranked here. Does this sound likely?

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Would you be interested in him going to STR or do you only want Crypt?
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

Thank you Lysander, we have everything crossed!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Silentdraperunners wrote:
Rachm82 wrote:We received a letter on Tuesday regarding our appeal and it stated they had 161 appeals and 29 available spaces.
Ok, so I am hoping that if he got a 60 rank for STR's then he should get a rank at Crypt that is good enough to be offered a place. Even though he sat the test at The Crypt, they haven't been in touch about his results and we don't know how he has ranked here. Does this sound likely?

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful.
I would say more than likely :D .

The lady who deals with admissions at Crypt is not currently at school, so please (as hard as it is :!:) be a little patient as the other ladies in the office will be covering her job, so you could hear from them at any time - hopefully soon :!: . Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now