Crypt split

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cazien

Re: Crypt split

Post by cazien »

There are more "guaranteed" places for girls than boys - 450 for girls, 300 for boys.
But there are 300 places for either, so boys will have to perform better in the test to equal the balance.
I don't think Pates have ever revealed the boy:girl ratio, and have always known to be boy heavy but in recent years it is more of a 50:50 split.
Crypt have revealed their ratio - I think last year it was approx. 50 girls, 100 boys and this year the numbers are around 40 girls, 110 boys.
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

It is an interesting thought experiment. The number of spaces available for boys is linked to the popularity of Crypt.

If you work on the (inaccurate) assumption that boys and girls perform equally well, and the mixed schools are equally popular with either gender then the following would happen:

If crypt was everyone's first choice, 150 more grammar places would be awarded to girls.

If crypt was everyone's last choice, girls and boys would be awarded the same number of places, with no girls going to crypt.

Obviously reality is somewhere in between. But if Crypt becomes super popular it will be bad news for boys!
Brackenboo

Post by Brackenboo »

I'm guessing the split of those taking the test is pretty much 50/50.

I'm just hoping they get the results emails right this year after the last couple of year's issues...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Year 11 in 2017 was a pretty even split, 60 girls to 62 boys:
https://www.compare-school-performance. ... ionstate=3
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Mamaofthree

Post by Mamaofthree »

How can Pates be split so perfectly: 60 girls and 62 boys?! If they are not supposed to know about gender when they do the rankings, it’s based completely on scores and date of birth...??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Mamaofthree wrote:How can Pates be split so perfectly: 60 girls and 62 boys?! If they are not supposed to know about gender when they do the rankings, it’s based completely on scores and date of birth...??
Not everyone on the top (PAN - no idea what that is currently) will actually decide to apply for a place, so even of the top (PAN) was quite unbalanced, gender-wise, the pattern of application may alter that. Parents of girls opting to share with Pates to prove their DDs the cleverest of them all but not wanting them to go to a mixed school / boys in the top 20 preferring to take up a cricket scholarship at Dean Close (sorry, no.idea whether this is actually a thing, but in my distant youth I briefly went put with a DC alumnus who played cricket :lol:) or whatever.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx