SGS Berkeley Green

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Skip

SGS Berkeley Green

Post by Skip »

Does anyone have any DC’s at Berkeley college doing GCSE’s? If so what do you think of it? Strengths? Weaknesses? Considering for DC. next year.
cazien

Re: SGS Berkeley Green

Post by cazien »

We were inundated with mail from them last year asking for DD to join for her GCSE's. I had a quick look on their website (out of curiosity more than anything as travel would be an issue for us) but found their website not very helpful. I couldn't find any reference to GCSE and A-level results, OFSTED reports, numbers on roll seemed very low for capacity etc. subjects seemed limited etc. It all seemed very much "look at our facilities, aren't we great" but no substance for academic achievement behind it.

Guess a visit might help to see what they offer.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:We were inundated with mail from them last year asking for DD to join for her GCSE's. I had a quick look on their website (out of curiosity more than anything as travel would be an issue for us) but found their website not very helpful. I couldn't find any reference to GCSE and A-level results, OFSTED reports, numbers on roll seemed very low for capacity etc. subjects seemed limited etc. It all seemed very much "look at our facilities, aren't we great" but no substance for academic achievement behind it.

Guess a visit might help to see what they offer.
Re the restricted subjects, it is a University Technical College, so you wouldn't necessarily expect a wide range of non-STEM subjects at GCSE level and certainly not post-16.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

It’s also a relatively new place, you wouldn’t expect to find much data on their results

Personally wish it was all still the labs.. loved working in that place
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanks all. Seems it’s still early days. I heard good things about it especially opportunities into various companies and it sounds like it could be a good career route rather than traditional uni and all those associated loans. More research needed!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now