Short review on schools, please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

2Socks

Re: Short review on schools, please?

Post by 2Socks »

I posted in the thread linked by Polgara about mine &my DD's thoughts about the girls schools. Suffice to say that I wasn't keen on DR, but DD absolutely was. She's gone to DR and I'm happy to admit that she was right. It's a perfect fit for her.
They've challenged but not pushed her. She's involved herself thoroughly in school life. I think much of this is that she can stay on after school as she walks, but much of it is because the culture assumes that the girls will look for wider experiences and will join clubs etc.
As far as English is concerned, your DD sounds very similar to mine. She's joined the young writers club and is absolutely flying. They've already entered a national poetry competition.
I was worried about the homework, but there's not been all that much. I try to get her to do about an hour most weekday evening, but she's frequently reviewing what she's learned as there's just not that much assigned homework.
A primary school friend had a very small incident of bullying and it was dealt with incredibly promptly, delicately and effectively. (DD's friend is rather short and one of the girls made a couple of unpleasant comments.) DD's friend wasn't worried about it at all but parents reported it in case the 'bully' picked on a more vulnerable child in future.
Honestly, my biggest frustration has been getting the uniform from Monkhouse.
I can't say anything about the other schools, but if you have any queries about DRHS let me know. Just bear in mind that she's only had one term so far!
BusyandConfused!

Post by BusyandConfused! »

In response to the question about Pates:

I have 2 girls at Pates, and hopefully their brother will join them this year (Everything crossed for March).

I can’t speak highly enough for the school. I was initially worried that it was just an exam factory and would be an academic pressure cooker. But I need not have worried - yes they expect the kids to work hard, but somehow they encourage them to be resilient learners and engaged thinkers, rather than academic robots. Both my girls are very different, but some how the school works for both of them.

And it’s not just academic - the House system and competitions are brilliant - the Music in particular is exceptional.

In terms of the comment about GCSEs I’m not sure what you mean? All sixth forms expect pupils to apply, whether they have been at the school or not. They will then set a number of GCSE points that they expect them to get. But I don’t think Pates is exceptionally high, compared to the other Grammar Sixth forms?

I’d say the only weakness is possibly the Sport - it isn’t really the focus of the school and there could be a greater variety on offer and a less traditional approach.

But it is a top school, well worth the reputation in my opinion.

Hope that helps?
Elks_mum

Post by Elks_mum »

BusyandConfused! wrote:In response to the question about Pates:

I have 2 girls at Pates, and hopefully their brother will join them this year (Everything crossed for March).

I can’t speak highly enough for the school. I was initially worried that it was just an exam factory and would be an academic pressure cooker. But I need not have worried - yes they expect the kids to work hard, but somehow they encourage them to be resilient learners and engaged thinkers, rather than academic robots. Both my girls are very different, but some how the school works for both of them.

And it’s not just academic - the House system and competitions are brilliant - the Music in particular is exceptional.

In terms of the comment about GCSEs I’m not sure what you mean? All sixth forms expect pupils to apply, whether they have been at the school or not. They will then set a number of GCSE points that they expect them to get. But I don’t think Pates is exceptionally high, compared to the other Grammar Sixth forms?

I’d say the only weakness is possibly the Sport - it isn’t really the focus of the school and there could be a greater variety on offer and a less traditional approach.

But it is a top school, well worth the reputation in my opinion.

Hope that helps?

Thanks for briefing, it is really helpful to get an overview for Pates! DS had take all these notes into his selection.
Ginger40

Post by Ginger40 »

I have one DD at Ribston and one DD who has just started SHS. They both chose the schools which were best for each of them.
DD1 loves Ribston because of the music, dance and drama, she is an avid performer in Ribstons many concerts, these have been very impressive even virtually via music works She is taking all 3 sciences for GCSE, and has always been taught separate sciences from yr 7. Also Ribston teach French and Spanish from year 7. They have a Fantastic History and English department and an amazing new head.

My younger daughter preferred SHS, she enjoys sport and thought there were more opportunities at SHS. The curriculum and potential GCSE subject choice was more suited to her interests. She is taught combined science so don’t feel this stands out in front of Ribston. The liked the school setting and feel of the school. She has been very happy so far.
She went to Denmark road for an open morning, was never able to get her back, it just wasn’t for her, the condensed site, no space were big issues for her. Every child is different and warm to different things. They are all excellent schools though !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now