How are we getting on in Year 8?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
herty

Re: How are we getting on in Year 8?

Post by herty »

Belated answers, Daogroupie. WGGS has no streaming initially. At Year 7 Oct half-term, maths and PE are streamed and I think Science at the strt of year 8.

Re languages, girls are allotted either French or German (random, 50/50) at the start of year 7 and then can choose the other one or Spanish or Latin in Year 8. Don't know if you have to do 1 or 2 but you certainly can do 2 if you wish.Think streaming in languages may come in year 8??

Seem to be v few girls from preps - only met 1 so far though there are probably others. Lots of local Watford girls, obviously. Quite a good social mix - reflects the local community quite well and has a big spread from rich to v poor, not all super-bright, but generally well-motivated. Particularly nice that there is no pressure I've seen so far about having the right labels, bags etc, or (obviously) about boys, as there aren't any! No bullying and the school is v hot on clamping down on any, which is excellent. Very nurturing and a good can-do attitude, good G&T provision from the beginning, older girls very welcoming and nurturing towards the little ones.

Good for ambitious girls - they ran an excellent 'Herstory' event recently, ie history from a feminist perspective = exactly what I want my girls to be learning. :D

Can't think of any criticisms yet but will post if any occur to me. :)
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

That's interesting herty. WGGS is our first choice of state school for this sep (dd is in yr 6) but as we're in Stanmore I'm not getting my hopes up.

I remember Mrs Hyde saying at the open day how pressurised the school is and not to send your daughter there if she can't cope with such an academic environment. Do you think this is true and how do the less able girls cope?
herty

Post by herty »

I think Mrs Hyde is right that a non-academically interested girl would not be ideally suited to the school. That's not to say the girls are all brilliant academically but they ARE generally well-motivated and the homework set is expected to be done on time. A less academic girl would be fine as long as she was prepared to put the time in to do the work; more academic girls would find it easier as the work will take them less long, I suppose.
Last edited by herty on Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
herty

Post by herty »

Just to add re MFL that dd has been told she will have the option of Mandarin as well as those mentioned above from year 8 - think this is new?? Wish she could do all of them!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now