WGSG or HBS

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BarnetDad

Re: WGSG or HBS

Post by BarnetDad »

I think Habs is easier to get into than HBS. I would concur with the general recommendation to go for a short commute. Can you give us an idea of what your DD is like/likes, as it's going to be the personal chemistry with the school that's most important.
Curious One

Post by Curious One »

My sincere gratitudes for all your wise input, DD has been offered a spot at WGSG.

HBS was always in our thoughts as an opportunity to expand her horizon if she could get a place, but with three scarce schools choices in Herts we had to play safe. We are over the moon she got into WGSG, so proud of her.

Herty, Barnetdad, Daogroupie and all other active forumers who have added abundantly wealth of knowledge on the 11plus journey. We hail you all!!!! Three Hearty Cheers lol. Its like having new families all in virtual reality..
:D

To those who didnt get what they wanted in terms of suitable offers be rest assured there is always a deep glowing light at the end of the Tunnel.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you, we did our best to help, really great to hear your news, well done to dd. I have just got back from Y7 parents evening which is where you hear if all that hard work to get in has translated into solid progress in Y7! Did you only join in October or were you lurking for a while? DG
Curious One

Post by Curious One »

Daogroupie,
I have crawl in and out of here for two or three years now!!!!! If my memoirs serves me right i got to read about the Sutton Mock Test from comments you made here awhile back now!!! I would reiterate it was the best £25pounds i ever spent on DD as it gave me a chance to measure where she was in term of ability with her peer group, although i never told her she was taking the test, DD did ponder why would i be taking her to Mcdonalds for a big breakfast :lol: :D so early in the morning as we has a 9am Mock Test sitting lol.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed, the Sutton mock really showed us where we needed to focus and gave my dd the first experience of being in a big hall with hundreds of others and having to knuckle down to it and ignore those around her. For some it is the exam for the school they want to go to that is their first experience of that. I am of the opinion that technique is increasingly important as the numbers increase. Every year highly able children lose out, some because the school has always arranged everything for them and parents just sign over the job to a tutor and don't get involved. One parent I spoke to recently had no idea what I was talking about when I spoke about VR types and papers iuch as Walsh and Bright Sparks. Never heard of Sutton mocks, did not understand the timing issue. But she felt she was paying someone else to deal with it all for her. DG
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Congrats! -I know lots of happy DD'S at WGSG. :mrgreen: :lol:
BarnetDad

Post by BarnetDad »

Congratulations, I'm sure it will go well!