Movement on Parmiters waiting list?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ally

Re: Movement on Parmiters waiting list?

Post by Ally »

Looks as if they're being more logical as the system of having multiple pupils in each position was very confusing and probably gave people false hope of getting a place.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Just trying to understand the waiting list (friends have got their DD still hoping for a place).

So in previous years, was the reason that multiple children were at the same position on the waiting list because they had the same score? So if the "pass" mark was 247, everyone who got 243 would be in 4th position (assuming some other children had 246,245,244)?

Braden01 - does your letter have a score as well as the position? If so, could you post, since that would help confirm whether the waiting list positions are really individual or not (and hence your chances of getting a place).
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

Based upon the information in the Sticky for the Academic waiting list
In 2009 the cut off was 246 and moved down 2 points
In 2010 the cut off was 250 and moved down 5 points
Last year the cut off was 247 and moved down 6 points

Looks as if the cut of this year is 247

In previous years there has been multiple pupils in each position in the waiting list, but it looks as if this year it isn't the case.

In 2010, we started off at 10th ( with multiple pupils ) and ended up in 2nd position, so it can't have been based purely on pupils with the same mark. They actually offered 34 places off the waiting list to fill the 46 academic places.

This is just ONE example of how much the list can move and it will differ considerably from year to year.

Ally
Luna

Post by Luna »

We just found out we are no 26 on the eating list with a score of 239. The admission lady on the phone said to me that this year the position on the waiting list is individual, so have we got any realistic chances I wonder? Please post your scores if you have them so we get an idea how all works.
WP

Post by WP »

Luna wrote:We just found out we are no 26 on the eating list with a score of 239. The admission lady on the phone said to me that this year the position on the waiting list is individual, so have we got any realistic chances I wonder? Please post your scores if you have them so we get an idea how all works.
You don't actually need anyone's scores. Ally's posting above quoting from the sticky is about the best info you can hope for. In the last three years the waiting list has gone down 2, 5 and 6 marks from the March 1 cutoff by September. If this year's March 1 cutoff is indeed 247, you're looking for a fall of 8 marks, which would be a bit more than in those years -- possible, but less likely than not.
Luna

Post by Luna »

Sorry for the "eating" word, my phone keeps guessing what I want to write:)

Thank you WP, indeed not a great chance. Glad we got our second option and not the local comp, in this case.:)
maddad

Post by maddad »

WP wrote:In the last three years the waiting list has gone down 2, 5 and 6 marks from the March 1 cutoff by September. If this year's March 1 cutoff is indeed 247, you're looking for a fall of 8 marks, which would be a bit more than in those years -- possible, but less likely than not.
On the other hand, Ally said in 2010 "They actually offered 34 places off the waiting list" (Ally - did this number come from Parmiter's admissions officer?). So if you're no 26 on the waiting list this year and things went similar to 2010, you have a reasonable chance of getting a place. Unfortunately, it's not an exact science, but you certainly shouldn't give up hope.

Anyway, waiting list position 26 with a score of 239 does support the idea that they are individual positions.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Tie breaker for those on the same score is distance from the school. As there are likely to be a number of people with the same score (about 4 based on previous posts) being 8 off the cut off and 26th on the waiting list appears to fit the view that they are giving individual wait list positions this year.
Luna

Post by Luna »

The lady on the phone at Parmiters confirmed to me that the positions on the list are individual this year as I asked her specifically if this is the case. So no 26 in our case means there are 25 pupils in front of us.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Hi

You have to remember that in 2010 the cut off point was very high at 250, so I not sure if it can be taken as the norm, not that there is any norm when you looking at waiting lists !!

Two years ago when they had multiple pupils at each position. We started off at 10th. Having been told that there are approx 4 at each position, sometimes more sometimes less, so our guess was 40th or (37, 38, 39 or 40th)

I've just had a look back at our original thread from 2010 and Joint 5th position was actually the 18th place and offered in May, which moved us up to Joint 5th. But after that there was no more real movement at all until summer holidays / start of term. So maybe looking at position 18 is a bit more realistic.

By the start of term we had moved to joint 2nd / 3rd or 6th in real terms. So from that I've concluded them offering 34 places. ( or between 31 and 34) But as time moves on more and more pupils drop out as they've accepted another school offer either state or private. If we had been offered a place at the start of term I not sure if we would have accepted it.

I really don't want to be negative and say to anyone they haven't got a chance of getting a place as you never know what might happen ( fingers crossed) and miss out on a place at Parmiters because of my advice. But I really wish I had had some more realistic advice / support. Continually waiting and waiting for something that is completely outside your control can be complete soul destroying to yourself and your DC and looking back had a negative effect on my DS. Especially when they've done so well to have come so close to getting a place at the most over subscribed school in Herts, coming in the top 7 or 8%.