last minute arrivals for distance proximity

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WP

Re: last minute arrivals for distance proximity

Post by WP »

I appreciate that nerves are a bit frayed at this time. The school says in their arrangements that they'll be checking for short-term or bogus lets, and we should take them at their word. They're certainly aware of the blocks of flats across the street.
Parent68

Post by Parent68 »

BaldPeg wrote:In my opinion we are all entitled to do whatever we can to get the best education for our children. I do not see any reason why a child should be less entitled to a good education just because they do not have the good fortune to live near a good school.

I would not want to live in the area around WGGS either. That is not meant to insult people who live there, it is a fact. I admire those people who are prepared to uproot their family and move to an area that would not otherwise choose to live to ensure that their children get the best possible start in life.

What you mean by the "good fortune" of staying here? Nothing to do with fortune, it's to do whether you made the neighbourhood your home or your are renting since September just to get in and get out of this "horrid" place as one person alluded to above. If you are the second then you are a bogus renter who will be reported to the school.
Parent68

Post by Parent68 »

thumbelina wrote:in the last few weeks i have noticed alot of year 6 girls arrive into my dd primary - mostly all renters for properties around the wggs. does the school actually look into bogus renters or short term renters who parachute in and thereby knock off the place for a local child and future siblings.....

Yes you should be worried, as there are ten new arrivals in my neighborhood since mid September. Some schools take in only 10% via proximity and then you have to pray for spillover distance rule. In my case ten new kids would wipe me out of the equation although I have only one home in the UK and am a confirmed non bogus resident in my area.
BaldPeg

Post by BaldPeg »

Parent68 wrote:
BaldPeg wrote:In my opinion we are all entitled to do whatever we can to get the best education for our children. I do not see any reason why a child should be less entitled to a good education just because they do not have the good fortune to live near a good school.

I would not want to live in the area around WGGS either. That is not meant to insult people who live there, it is a fact. I admire those people who are prepared to uproot their family and move to an area that would not otherwise choose to live to ensure that their children get the best possible start in life.

What you mean by the "good fortune" of staying here? Nothing to do with fortune, it's to do whether you made the neighbourhood your home or your are renting since September just to get in and get out of this "horrid" place as one person alluded to above. If you are the second then you are a bogus renter who will be reported to the school.
I am not sure what the question bit of your post means.

Whether you have made a particular neighbourhood your home should not make any difference. As long as you meet the admissions criteria it does not matter if you move out five minutes later. Parents are entitled to do whatever they need to do to ensure the best possible future for their children. Moving into an area temporarily does not make them 'bogus' as long as the address on their application is their only home at the time.

I agree that parents who sign up for a shorthold tenancy while living elsewhere are acting fraudulently and risk being caught out, but that is another matter. Nevertheless I have a certain admiration for parents who are prepared to go to such lengths for their children. I would do anything to ensure the best possible future for my children - including moving to the 'right' area. I do not consider that I have responsibility for the rights of other people's children if they conflict with that of my own.
Parent68

Post by Parent68 »

Bogus residents are those who have just moved in, with or without another former address as their main home with the express intention of gaining admission via proximity rule and having the premeditated plan of moving out of this "horrid" place as soon as they are able to do so, preferably by end of Oct 2013.

Real residents are those who have made the town their home, and do not have a premeditated plan to exit by end of next year to escape back to their familiar surroundings. They of course may move for other reasons, as life dictates, but not due to a cynically hatched plan.

There you go. That's how I differentiate bogus and real. One can identify in which camp one belongs rather easily.
Nearly over

Post by Nearly over »

I can appreciate both sides of the argument, because at the end of the day we all want the best for our kids, but what I will say is that admissions criteria for schools states you have to have at least 1 year rental contract. I think checks should be made regularly throughout the year to ensure families are living in the rental property full time and not somewhere else. The only bogus renters are those who put down one address to get into the school but are living somewhere else.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

TBH, I did always wonder how schools received high applications when within their borough they certainly are not enough primary schools to support them.

I say live and let live. Life is far to short to worry about other people.
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

Children learn from the example set to them by their parents.

So if you are comfortable with your children learning that in order to get what you want, lying, cheating and stealing is okay, then go ahead and be a bogus renter.

Personally, it's a step too far for me.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

C. J. wrote:Children learn from the example set to them by their parents.

So if you are comfortable with your children learning that in order to get what you want, lying, cheating and stealing is okay, then go ahead and be a bogus renter.

As a household of Evil Atheists, we always think this kind of behaviour is particularly amusing when the school in question is a faith one :roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Parent68

Post by Parent68 »

ToadMum wrote:
C. J. wrote:Children learn from the example set to them by their parents.

As a household of Evil Atheists, we always think this kind of behaviour is particularly amusing when the school in question is a faith one :roll:
Oh come on...one cannot be blamed for having just found the Lord this October.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now