Watford ConsortiumTests

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wat4steve

Post by wat4steve »

Seems to be a recurring theme i.e. Maths as expected VR harder than expected.

My son said on Maths he had time to go over every question a second time and double check his answers.

VR he answered every question, left two first time round, and only had enough time to go back and attempt the two he left. No time to check other answers.

Personally I’m happy it was hard. I think it will suit those kids who prepared over those who did not. I believe my son was well prepared.

Also said some of the questions (VR) he had not come across in any of the practice papers he had attempted (NFR / Bond or Athey). Although did say he had done them at ‘Junior Scholars’ / School.

Quietly confident he, had been getting between 92–100% consistently in the week / ten days leading up to the tests in the practise papers.

Good luck to everybody else who sat their test last Sat.

Post by Guest »

I know what you mean but I think it's a shame that the maths wasn't harder, i think that many of the kids had learnt new maths skills that aren't covered at school and they wanted to show them off. Does anyone have any ideas or musings about what the necessary % will be in the light of the easier maths paper?

Post by Guest »

Hi

Just a query to those who have written the watford consortium exams, were the children allowed to write any working out on the question paper or were they asked to work out on scrap paper. I am trying to prepare my child for next years exam. Any tips would help.
Thanks
virtuo

watford consortium tests

Post by virtuo »

When doing the maths it is imp. to do your working out on the side or whereever, for the childs benefit. They will differenciate on the VR.
Any way good luck to everyone who did the tests and also to the parents a word of advice. ' Whatever will be , will be!!!!!!!'
tense

Post by tense »

To WP

Re: the type of paper. My DD only did Bond practice papers & said the VR test was nothing like them.

As with the kids of other posters, she found the maths very very easy, so looks like it will come down to VR.

I'm with Virtuo on the "what will be" line, but then again I'm happy with my alternative (state) options. I know not everyone feels that way (depends where in SW Herts you live of course).
Mary

Post by Mary »

Do they really use the same papers again for the Dec 4th (and whatever later date) alternative sitting?
I'm sure no one else is as devious and underhand as me, but I can see a very serious flaw in the system.
guest100

wat tests

Post by guest100 »

My son also found vr tough and maths very easy. is it possible to get hold of Moray house papers?

Post by Guest »

tense wrote:To WP

Re: the type of paper. My DD only did Bond practice papers & said the VR test was nothing like them.

As with the kids of other posters, she found the maths very very easy, so looks like it will come down to VR.

I'm with Virtuo on the "what will be" line, but then again I'm happy with my alternative (state) options. I know not everyone feels that way (depends where in SW Herts you live of course).
fed up

Saturdays exam

Post by fed up »

Was ours the only household unable to feel the relief to which we were so looking forward. Instead I had to deal with floods of tears because my daughter went into a blind panic on seeing the Moray verbal paper. She had prepared usingd bond and NFER and was regularly getting 100%.
I feel like I should have known about these papers, not neccessarily to practice but I could have warned her not to get too used to the other formats.
We were told the test would be based on NFER Standard. Did they do a neaky or is this how the test is presented every year??
WatMom

Post by WatMom »

I agree with "fed up". School did tell us that both papers will be by NFER. I feel it is not fair to give wrong information and mislead parents. Rather they should remain silent and say they do not know.

Though I am fairly confident that my sn has done well, I still feel gutted about the wrong info given to us by schools themselves. Did anyone else had same experience or are we the only unlucky ones?