Advice please tricky question....

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

watdad

Post by watdad »

Watford has not got any Grammar schools they are voluntary aided schools and Grammar in name only
resmum

Post by resmum »

True, technically WGSG and WGSB are not grammar schools but most people regard them as such (and tellingly they still have "grammar" in the name!)

And I know the head of one of the schools tries to discourage parents from sending children to the school if they can't cope with "pressure".
watmum

Post by watmum »

I have always considered this issue regarding WBGS and WGGS a bit odd.

They are not grammar schools, and when league tables are published they are noted on the tables as having Comprehensive status, and as being Voluntary aided.

Why, therefore are they allowed to be called "grammar" schools, in their title, seems like an issue for trades descriptions act to me !! LOL

Am I being silly or do any of you agree?
watdad

Post by watdad »

They tried to change their name to Watford Boys & Girls years ago when I was at school, in fact the head used to be quite adamant that they were not ‘the Grammar’.

It goes back to when they were a Grammar school in years past and I guess the name has stuck. Rickmansworth also used to be a Grammar…..
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

I don't know what is more shocking - the original post or the equivocal nature of some (not all) of the responses. I have past the posting on to WGS.
chad

Post by chad »

I do not think the first post is 'shocking'.... as it was posted from a parent who was seeking advice as to the 'rules' on admissions.
The parent (after getting clarification) has said that the original thought was not viable as it would not be within the admission rules and she/he would not lie in order to achieve a place.
The forum is here to offer help and opinions.
While you may label posts as equivocal please realise that an unemotional post conveying the facts is usually what is required. :)
ealingmum

Post by ealingmum »

You are right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and seek out facts. I have no problem with that. But contemplating sending your own child to live away from the parent Monday to Friday does strike me as fairly shocking. But hey, that's just my opinion.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now