Moving to Kent - or trying

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

wickedwitch wrote:yes cranbrook would be good but my hubby and i both went to grammars in birmingham and would like our eldest to give that a go.
thanks xx
As an ex-Birmingham Grammar School pupil, and Kent resident, I feel obliged to comment. :roll:

You need to sort your priorities.

Do you want to live in Goudhurst, very nice I admit, or do you want to improve the odds of child receiving GS education.

If so you probably need to move much closer to Maidstone, particularly if eldest is boy.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Wickedwitch
You do realise that Cranbrook IS a grammar school don't you? It is 13+ entry so Angley runs a grammar stream in years 7 and 8 for children intending to transfer to Cranbrook from year 9.
If you want single sex grammars I know children from Goudhurst who attend the Tonbridge grammars (TGS for girls, Judd for boys) or Skinners in T'Wells for boys. I also know of girls who attend the grammars in Maidstone. I don't personally know of boys from Goudhurst who attend schools in Maidstone but they may do.
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

Thanks folks.
Eldest is a girl btw. should it be Dd?!!

ok I wasnt sure at first whether you could get into the Kent grammars regardless of where in Kent you lived, but i'm getting a bit more clued up on that now.

I had heard that Cranbrook was damn near impossible to get into unless you had been to a prep school. We are still open as to where we will rent; either the TW side or the Cranbrook side. I just think she would stand more of a chance of getting into a grammar - she is bright and good at the VR, general knowledge etc. She is just a bit lazy! Hubby and i both went to King Edwards Camp Hill and i found it very easy to get into there. I'm hoping dd has the same experience.

I must admit that having been trying to sell our house for 2 years i'd lost hope of ever moving, so finding out that she needs to be in Kent for mid September was a bit of a shock. Hence why i am flinging out questions as to where best to go. I know you have all done loads of research!!

We are heading off to Kent tomorrow on a 'feels right' village hunt. That might sway the direction we rent in. I'm still very open to hear your views on nice places to live and the 'best' schools to go to !

Once again thanks for all your help and sorry if i sound a bit vague. I am a bit vague at the moment!!

ww
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

Don't know if you are aware, but registration for the Kent test closes in a few days time. If you want to improve the odds of getting into a Kent GS, ideally you need to go east rather than West.
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

hello again. yes, i have already registered her. thanks for the info.
SSM

Post by SSM »

Wickedwitch, I've pm'd you.
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

ta for that :D
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

You don't need to go to a prep school to get into Cranbrook. The fact that many children do is probably because it is year 9 entry (and there are loads of prep schools/ wealthy parents in the area) and takes some boarders.

Cranbrook and Angley schools run joint information evenings for prospective candidates (year 6). I'm guessing that if you go through the Angley grammar stream you are probably almost guaranteed a place at Cranbrook. Angley have their own tests for admission to their grammar stream but, I believe, will accept an 11+ pass as evidence of suitability. Why not call the schools and ask if you might be interested?
wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

thanks for that. We will def be going to the open day / ht talks in september but i may well phone the school too. we had a drive round the area today and are so much more taken with CSCA than with TW. decisions, decisions!