Bribery

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I have to say I always go down the reward route. However, it's important not to see it as bribery. If a child has worked hard for the 11+ and does not pass, they should still get a reward if it has been promised (but don't tell them beforehand!). I always give my son a monetary reward for getting a top assessment every term. When they go to work, they will get paid for their efforts, so I don't see a problem with doing it now. It's very personal but it works for us.
Milla

Post by Milla »

the problem with offering the reward as an incentive is the double blow if the child fails. Not only do they not get into the school they hoped they might but the wii goes up in a puff of smoke. If you "give in" and get it anyway, what does that tell them about your promises? We did a lot of stuff about the results being the reward, etc, etc, but also bought him a couple of wii games I think when he passed. Not so much as to be financially crippling, but enough to be meaningful and be some reflection of the hours of familiarisation put in.
sp

Post by sp »

We didn't offer bribes but rewarded the hard work by buying a present of their choice. It had to be something to keep so no electronics, games etc. DS chose a watch and DD a silver necklace. Hopefully these will be reminders of their efforts and how much we appreciate the work done.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I don't think you are 'giving in' if you really feel the child has given it their all, but doesn't pass the exam. However, we did not give in and give our second son a big reward when he failed, as he simply did not put that much effort into it. It was his choice to take the test, so there had been no pressure from us. He was allowed to choose one game, which was not as much as the first son got. However, I want them to learn that you have to work hard to get a particular reward and not to just expect it.
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

Also, I think if they are aware that you are prepared to pay hourly for a tutor to get them through, then surely you can pay something towards their own efforts?
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I rewarded my daughter for all her hard work last year and she chose a laptop, which was great as she now uses it a lot for her homework. My other daughter who follows the very next year has told me that for her reward, she wants a GOAT! Believe it or not, my husband has agreed to this!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Are you sure she didn't say coat? :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, what a great request! Why does she want it though? will you get a nanny and drink the milk/make cheese?
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

I wish she had said a ‘coat’!

We had a goat once before when she was a baby but it got lonely and hooked up with the dog. It used to come through the dog flap and sleep on the sofa! Then it had a baby (pregnant before we got it) and the two of them used to come in every day and trash the house, eating the fruit from the bowl, my house plants, my post and the final straw was when I found them standing amongst plenty of their droppings, on my dining room table! I promptly took them back to the farm they came from!

You can appreciate why I am not too keen to repeat this chapter of my life, although the fencing around our new field is higher so my daughter is convinced that if we get pigmy goats, they will not get into the garden or house! I am still trying to convince her to go down the ‘chinchilla’ route!

I love goat’s cheese but I prefer the Waitrose variety!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

WesterhamMum wrote:I wish she had said a ‘coat’!

We had a goat once before when she was a baby but it got lonely and hooked up with the dog. It used to come through the dog flap and sleep on the sofa! Then it had a baby (pregnant before we got it) and the two of them used to come in every day and trash the house, eating the fruit from the bowl, my house plants, my post and the final straw was when I found them standing amongst plenty of their droppings, on my dining room table! I promptly took them back to the farm they came from!
:lol: :lol:
sp

Post by sp »

If you do get a Nanny think of all the savings in babysitter fees!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now