Confirmed more places will go west from east

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

LAWR - Aren't we are simply doing what is best for our children within the rules of the current system?

:D :D :D
long and winding road

Post by long and winding road »

Absolutely - which is why it seems so silly to blame anyone who is trying to get their children in - OOC or otherwise. By all means lets complain about the system and not the applicants. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I agree , it is the system which needs to be changed. I read the comments by the Folkestone heads as being that the solution was not to take places away from East Kent , but to realise that there were different pressures on West Kent schools.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

LAWR: I agree with you (but then I would, as I don't live far from you, just 1km OUT of Kent)...we only want the best for our children, and if the system tells me my son's allocated school does not quote it's GCSE results, has an allocated policeman :shock: and a holding tank :shock: , then I think I have the right to try for something better! My son got a place at Judd last year, but we opted for the indie route, releasing that place for someone else. Well done him for the score! Good luck to your DC! I'm re-mortgaging to avoid the local 'system', thank you! :(
long and winding road

PB mum - did you feel that Judd in the end was too far? It does worry me a bit, mainly because of all the socially negative aspects of living far from school, which is why we are keeping all things crossed for St Olaves.
Hope interest rates stay low for you for a long time! :)
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Socially, I don't think the distance matters whether St O's or Judd, as the boys tend to 'travel'. My DS' best friend gets the bus from Badger's Mount (and I think it starts in Orpington) for Judd, and it's not a problem, there are a few on there! Our decision was more based on our DS' age at entry(10) and size of year...Judd is excellent, and his BF loves it! Do Skinners take OOC? All the best for St O's. :D
long and winding road

Thanks PB mum - think I've just worked out the PB (place name not far from here?)
Yes Skinners are pretty much the same as Judd for entrance criteria (scores rather than geography)- but further away again - we put it before Judd because despite the added distance, it was the one my son preferred of the two, if St O's isn't an option. I actually preferred Judd but couldn't persuade him to see things my way!
There is a mini bus which picks up from the bottom of our road and around the area and drops off at all the Kent Grammar schools so long journey but easy in terms of travel - no public buses/trains/walks on those cold wet winter mornings!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Does anybody have a press reference / article for this movement of places from East to West? It's just that the local MP is having a meeting tomorrow evening and I may be able to go - would be nice to be able to ask a question!!! but I would like some facts first!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

you could try KM online, I'm sure that is where I found the article. It would be Shepway and white Cliffs
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

Doodles

I have PM you with a website, not sure if i'm allowed to mention it here. May be useful.

Fluffy
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now