oooh all the books have gone!!! and reading headteacher!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
committed

Re: oooh all the books have gone!!! and reading headteacher!

Post by committed »

"I'm a bit concerned Committed that a teacher is discussing Kent test results with a friend - the boy you're talking about could be my son!" It could be anybody's DC - the conversation did not involve names at all - it was a theoretical one about HT appeals and what happened.

The whole point of the conversation was what HT's and teachers did to support the process and to provide some reassurance that just because tests were being done, it was not necessarily a bad thing and that a lot of teachers want to give their students the best chance.

I simply responded because some people seemed very quick to jump to conclusions and assumptions - I won't make that mistake again.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

[quote="hdq2907"]I'm a bit concerned Committed that a teacher is discussing Kent test results with a friend - the boy you're talking about could be my son!

Sorry if I am missing the point here but I think that you missed the point hdq2907 and this was an over reaction .....Committed simply chose to share some interesting info regarding the lengths one teacher was prepared to go to in advance of helping their ht make a decision over whether or not to ask for a review. When I read this I thought that it was reassuring to know that there are some that will go over and above what is probably expected of them to give their pupils the best possible chance. Now if the post named Junior Tiggers school I might be a bit worried as it does narrow the field considerably ! I think that we were given an interesting insight into a process that most of us have only been able to speculate about :)
westkent

Post by westkent »

What I find rather strange is that the school has, up to this point, had no part in the whole process leading up to the test. I registered my daughter, she and I prepared for it together with no input at all from the school and now its the school that holds all the power as whether or not to appeal with no reference to us. Wierd system or what?!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

It is bizzare, my DD's teacher last year told us the school had nothing to do with 11+ and this is why its so frustrating to know that they after all hold so much power and everything is being done behind our backs. We are left to our own only for an HT to get such an amount of power on the last hurdle. I am getting so paranoid of seeing the Head knowing she know if my child passed or failed. Its such an aweful long time to keep us in the dark when HT and their cronies are already in know.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:HT and their cronies are already in know.
I was told last year, by a TA, that only the head and deputy knew who had passed etc, not the class teachers. Although in the instance of the HT appeal the class teacher was also informed which children this involved (obviosuly needing their work)
hdq2907

Post by hdq2907 »

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by hdq2907 on Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SSM

Post by SSM »

hdq2907 wrote:Tigger 2 - I have not missed the point. A teacher should not be discussing results and scores with friends. End of.

What's wrong with a teacher discussing results with friends? As long as they are not naming children and the friends don't have any connection with the school? Even if they do have a connection witht a friend then as long as it is not obvious who the child is, I really don't see the problem.

OK if say only one or two children sat the 11+ adn the teacher said that they had to appeal for a child, that'll be different. But if the majority of the class sat the test and the teacher told a friend what committed's friend said, then what harm is there?
hdq2907

Post by hdq2907 »

Professionally it doesn't sit comfortably with me. I'm wondering how the headteacher would feel. I know mine wouldn't be happy. The fact that a child's scores are discussed whether the child is named or not just isn't the done thing. The child's score is now on a public forum and info published could be recognised for example by the headteacher of the school.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

hdq2907 wrote:Professionally it doesn't sit comfortably with me. I'm wondering how the headteacher would feel. I know mine wouldn't be happy. The fact that a child's scores are discussed whether the child is named or not just isn't the done thing. The child's score is now on a public forum and info published could be recognised for example by the headteacher of the school.
I dont believe any school was mentioned, the area in which the school is was not mentioned, neither was the gender, name or details of any child. How can the headteacher feel unhappy if no school has been mentioned.
I dont think any harm has been done. We all discuss work with close friends and immediate family as everyone needs an outlet of some sort. I think it is reassuring to know some teachers will go to any lengths to help kids to get good school places.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

There was a previous discussion on HT appeals here.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=11985

I think we are all getting paranoid by the secrecy and why things arent done in a transparent manner and from the above post you can clearly see why the process is so wrong. The system allows HTs to cherry pick who they appeal on.

We are all waiting and anything to suggest someone knows a bit more about our children is irritating at this stage. Perhaps its the timing :?. My irritation is while some teacher go that far others, how about those not so lucky even in the same school, they could be a few missing out on a few marks. Personally if my child was in that school and my child wasnt the one cherry picked to get everyone sit a paper for them I would be heartbroken. I still dont see the point of getting the whole class sitting a paper for one cherry picked child.
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now