Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
U400JB9

Re: Daughter did not pass. What happens if I put Grammar 1st

Post by U400JB9 »

I believe T12ACEY appeal to a Grammar school she didn`t originally put on her CAF and was successful in her appeal. ( she is also in East Kent).
We are in Canterbury,didn`t pass last year, put two GS choices 1st and 2nd as advised by KCC advice line, and a HS. Got none of our choices ( knew we wouldn`t be offered a GS). and ended up appealing to all three.

Clarendon does appear to be undersubscribed, so when you appeal you should only need to appeal on non qualification......unless it has become more popular this year with the reduction in catchments in Canterbury.

Good luck, as is said, the appeals section is invaluable
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

i have always thought you could apply/appeal to a kent school not on your caf after a certain date. So could be later than some who are appealing who had it on their CAF but not much.

No point asking kent admissions they seem to change ther mind every week :lol:
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

I have spoken to three people at Kent Admissions in the last month and they have all told me that you can apply to a school not on your caf after 31st March. The last lady that I spoke to said that appeals for schools named on your caf have to be in a few days before the end of March (around the 26th this year I think). I wondered if this made much difference to the date that your appeal was heard and was told not but,as you say it really depends on who you speak to at kcc! :) The only thing I was told was that the appeals panel for a school not named on your caf could ask you why you had not named it and then appealed for it. I have ,of course, no idea if this is correct of course -it is kcc we're talking about!! :lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Tigger how wierd they told you that, they change goalposts every minute :shock: . I spoke to someone there and they told me that I could only appeal if the school was on my CAF but that doesnt seem to be correct because in the admissions book it stats 5 April. I really wish KCC had competent people dealing with such issues esp at a time when parents are very anxious. I never trust a word KCC Admissions HQ say and how sad we have to rely on a public forum for more information. I have spoken to them a few times and its clear most who pick our calls dont have a clue about the admissions code nor standard procedures like viewing papers. I had to argue with one that I can actually view my DD's papers, after putting me on hold she said oh yes I could, just she has never heard of it :shock: . I wonder if Choice Advisors are any better or are they the same lot?
Impossible is Nothing.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Frustrated, you can appeal to schools that you have not put on your CAF, there is a short time after 1 March (read admissions booklet backwards and forwards again to spot it) when you can't. It is one of those admissions myths which many people fall for, and it's a shame as it results in people wasting spaces on their CAF with schools they have no hope of ever getting into.

It may make a small difference to the success of your appeal as if you don't put it on the CAF your appeal might be heard slightly later. But you would have to weigh this up against the benefit of putting other schools on your CAF rather than ones you know you really will not get into (e.g. putting down a schools you live too far away from to stand a chance, or putting a grammar school down although child has failed because you want to appeal against non-qualification).

Why do you feel so certain that you can't when you most definitely can? You have a right to appeal to any school once each year (i.e. once for Year 7, once for year 8, once for year 9 etc etc). You can check this with Etienne if you wish. Don't be fobbed off by schools etc.

So once you receive your allocations on 1 March you might wish to start thinking about waiting lists and appeals for any school of your choice in England!!

The 11+ might be hard, but reading the admissions booklet is definitely harder still.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

From the Admission to Secondary School in Kent 2011 booklet.
https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/ ... ook-11.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Page 18
Being offered a school doesn’t mean you can’t appeal for any of your other choices, or ask about being put on the waiting list for any spaces that may come up at those schools. After 4 April you can also apply to the Local Authority’s Admissions Department for a Year 7 place at a school you didn’t name on your original SCAF. We will process these late applications at intervals over the summer, along with requests for places from children who have arrived too late to apply by the closing date. Every child who applies for a place will be ranked for admission according to the school’s published criteria, unless they are the subject of a Fair Access Protocol or a Direction, in which case they can be given priority over others on a waiting list who already have a school place.
I added the bold for emphasis

It's definitely a myth that you can only appeal for a school listed on your SCAF. After April 4th you can apply to any school and once your application has been refused, you can then put in an appeal.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Frustrated, why were you so sure you were correct to put it in bold even? I hope you haven't missed any chances of schools you would have liked through misreading the booklet. Of course you can appeal to schools that you haven't put on your CAF. How do you think some people get into schools when they move house?

I repeat in bold for the benefit of Frustrated you can appeal once per year for any school in the country!! Once for year 7, once for year 8, once for year 9 etc etc.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Frustrated, why were you so sure you were correct to put it in bold even?
For emphasis. :roll:

I stand corrected. :oops: :oops: :wink:

Sorry for the misinformation, Louise79. Hope you get what you want :D
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

frustrated wrote: I stand corrected. :oops: :oops: :wink:
Its ok frustrated you can sit down now :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh sorry if I sounded snappy. I didn't mean to. I just wondered if there was a source of info somewhere in Kent who is giving out convincing but wrong info on this. They are terrible in the admissions section for giving the wrong info. And this is just the kind of source of info that has the credibility of being correct, but isn't.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now