"Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: "Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Post by yoyo123 »

The thing with Folkestone is that half our catchment area is fish!

IF you do decide on FSG, Folkestone West Station is quite close to the school
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Being from Ashford DS travels to Folkestone on the train each day and gets home before his brother, who is at NKS, most of the time. Leaves in the morning about 15 or 20 minutes earlier, although doesn't need to - it's his preference so he can be in early and play football etc. before lessons.

I always feel offended by the phrase 'half the catchment area are fish' and have no idea why as this would explain why these good schools are undersubscribed. The league tables offer some interesting statistics but in reality you get a feel for the school by visiting and, despite the ramshackle maths block, DS took to it (like a fish to water lol) immediately. Hasn't looked back and in hindsight we are now pleased he is settled there because he is doing really well.

Good luck if you do decide to appeal x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
outofboroughmum

Post by outofboroughmum »

Kentmum, I believe you have made the right choice as a lot of people did Bexley, Kent, NW, St O etc. Being out of borough ourselves, we did both Kent and Bexley exams and passed both but we could only take up one school which is in Bexley. Others might live in Kent and pass both Kent and Bexley but could take up only one so that leaves spaces for others hence waiting list and appeal. Pls read the thread on steps to take when appealing. I believe you have a good chance of succeeding so press on otherwise, you will be haunted by the 'what if'. I wish you all the best and look forward to your good news in a couple of months time.
marplegarrett

Post by marplegarrett »

Kentmum

No, we didnt go for HSG . When we visited we were totally unimpressed with the whole thing. The person showing us round couldnt answer one question ! Everyone seemed depressed. Even the language teacher told me that she didnt agree with the policies and methods of teaching languages at the school ! The head spent most of his speech looking at the floor ! Yet I know alot of people are happy with it but it just wasnt the right place for us.

Our first choice was Invicta which thankfully my daughter was offered. Good Luck with your appeal - got to be worth a try so that at the end of the day you can say you did all you could. Hopefully your primary school will back you up x
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks for all your kind words. Unfortunately after consultation with DD's primary school this week we're not going ahead with an appeal. She's only predicted a 4b for literacy and they don't feel this is strong enough for grammar school. Also her weakest area is writing and as this is such a major component of most subjects they feel she'll struggle to keep up with the pace required for grammar. We can't really argue with that, this was always my worry for DD and we only considered am appeal in the first place after initial suggestion from the school, in fact we only put DD in for the 11+ at her request!

She's made amazing progress this last year and just hope she continues this throughout secondary. She's pleased with the decision and admits she preferred the local high school all along!

Thanks again.
marplegarrett

Post by marplegarrett »

Kentmum

I think if she is happy with it then that's the main thing . They say the capable kids do just as well at a secondary school so I'm sure she will be fine .
Good luck x
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

kentmum2011,

Our dd2, youngest in yr group, in current yr8, is at a comp after bombing the nvr paper. Failed Bexley too.
We knew she wouldn't be joining her sister at grammar school. We were gutted, she was gutted but we knew it was the right decision.

Now she is doing brilliantly at HER pace. She is working at levels 5a to 6b in most subjects, 4a to 5 in french.
There's been a couple of level 7s thrown in there for the odd pieces of work. Her maths has really picked up. Her English has really come on and she has us in stitches with her stories. And she is happy.

What I'm trying to say is that with the right support from both school and home, your daughter will do very well and will not feel the pressure that some grammars put on their students.

All the best x
Last edited by Tracy on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi Kentmum 2011

sorry to hear about your situation

I read your posts a while ago and, as I seem to have become a serial lurker, have read some of the updated posts aswell.

With respect, I felt I had to contact you regarding this because I had thought - after looking at at the HSG website - where they refer to PAN increase to 180 in Sept 2012 - I thought your decision would have been to appeal.

I reread your original post and you said your daughter had wanted to go for the 11+. what had prompted her? was it because she wanted to? or because her friends were sitting it? or was she doing better than her own expectations.

you've also mentioned that she has already made good progress this year and I really believe that focussed help can help kids (or anyone) unlock their potential. (In my DD's previous school, her friend that was deemed the best of the class in maths (and other subjects) was extremely able in grasping new concepts and ideas, but could hide that she didn't know her timestables very well from her teachers and her parents, using her personality to give her a few more moments to work through her doubling-up etc. strategies to cope with the trickier ones)

would you be willing to appeal without the support of the primary and maybe also without telling your daughter so that (should the option become available) you can make a more informed decicion later?

I apologise if I sound insensitive and nosey-parkery (which I think I am) but just looking back at that OP made me think that maybe something sparked that interest in your DD and I think you are in a good postion to benefit from an appeal.

Good Luck
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

kentmum2011 wrote:Thanks for all your kind words. Unfortunately after consultation with DD's primary school this week we're not going ahead with an appeal. She's only predicted a 4b for literacy and they don't feel this is strong enough for grammar school. Also her weakest area is writing and as this is such a major component of most subjects they feel she'll struggle to keep up with the pace required for grammar. We can't really argue with that, this was always my worry for DD and we only considered am appeal in the first place after initial suggestion from the school, in fact we only put DD in for the 11+ at her request!

She's made amazing progress this last year and just hope she continues this throughout secondary. She's pleased with the decision and admits she preferred the local high school all along!
Thanks again.
I don't mean to stir the water,but I think you should appeal regardless of what the school think - it may be a hassel, but you don't have anything to lose and your daughters scores are a good effort. A 4b is what is expected from a child in year 6 and there is still quite a while to go before may.Your daughter may come in leaps and bounds before then- my oldest daugher was a level 3c at the end of year 5, despite being level 2b in year 2 :roll:.She managed to exceed her own teachers expectations and was a 5a by the december of year 6 and won a place at our local selective independent school.

Good luck in whatever you choose though.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

I agree with Penguin. I will try and comment further later. But at least put in the appeal paperwork. It keeps your options open.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now