TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Villagedad

Re: TWGSB starters Sept 2013

Post by Villagedad »

tonbridgemum wrote:As far as homework is concerned I have to disagree with previous posting. DS has always had consistently high levels of homework from year 7 and always at weekend. Its always been a pain that a lot of work has had to be completed the following day (something I have written to the school about) . They get 3 half hour homeworks a night and this is almost always set.
Hope this helps. Happy to answer any other queries. TM
Thank you tonbridgemum, really useful.

On the subject of homework, just to clarify. Does the "3 half hour homeworks a night" equate to 1.5 hours each and every night? How about weekend homework or is this just the Friday homework set (i.e. about 1.5 hours) or is there usually more over the weekend?

Many thanks for your insight
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi Villagedad, again well done to your DS for his well deserved success!
The homework is 3 half hours every night and this includes ONLY friday, not weekend. (PHEW)
When they get to year 9 it increases to 4 half hours.
I once wrote to say it took my year 7 DS far longer to get through it and to be fair, the head of year did reply to say it shouldn't, in general, and so if it did we were to write in his homework diary and 'stop' him after the allocated time. Easier said than done when they worry about falling behind... Anyway, It did settle down after year 7 but the trick really is to keep on top of it.
My advice is initially to keep close tabs on the homework diary and whats coming in. My son needed quiet a lot of support at first in getting organised and doing homework in the right order. Once they are in a routine its easier to step back and let them get on with it.
Obviously some children are better than others :lol: TM
jaymum

Post by jaymum »

Tonbridgemum, you are a mine of useful information! Please stay close to us, we need you :lol:
Good to know about all the uniform and homework stuff, thank you.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I aim to please.. :oops: TM
Minty

Post by Minty »

Just double-checked homework situation with my Yr9. He says no more than three half hour home works per school night, sometime only one or two and sometimes none.
It's really only ever a problem is if they are all left to the last minute and pile up, so it is useful when they first start to keep a check on what's due in when and encourage them to get on with it on the night the homework is given (although practical subjects like art usually have a week or two to complete so tend to be done over a weekend in our house).

The boys all have planners which show what homework has been given and when it is due to be handed in, to remind/help them manage it.
I think it's pretty much the same for Skinners/Judd/MGS from what I have heard from friends with boys there.

Hope this helps
Minty
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, 1.5 hours 5 days a week fits with what the relative I am talking about did in years 7 and 8. And that was maximum I would say. Of course you can always spend longer on homework if you choose to.

He still did no homework sat and sun in years 9, 10 and 11. Top grades at gcse.

That's not a lot of homework is it, as things go?
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

I think a lot of the boys use their lunchtimes to do homework, that's certainly the case with my sons friends. He does Art GCSE so uses the time in the Art block to spend more time on his portfolio so I guess some boys appear to have less.
certainly at weekends he plays catch up with bits he hasn't had time to do during the week.
Anyway, I guess a lot depends on the teacher you have for each subject and their concept of 30 minutes of homework!!
rosymum

Post by rosymum »

Hi Jaymum,
just to say I was in the same position as you this time last year, my son is coming to the end of year 7, he has loved TWGSB so far, he has made great friends with lovely, bright kids, he seems near the top academically but is not the top. His academic results have shown good improvement, sometimes great from his SATs scores in year 6, (levels 5 and 6 at end of primary). We are really impressed with the school. Maybe not getting to Skinners was meant to be!

As for the amount of homework, this was a bit of a shock for us all to start with as it did seem like a lot, but as they get better at organisation etc it settles down.

Hope that helps. 8)
crispin

Post by crispin »

I echo "Rosymum" completely. We lost appeals last year (DS underperformed in the Maths paper), but he is coming to end of Year 7 at TWGSB and we are impressed with the school. For example, communication is excellent, the boys are assessed every half term and are awarded if appropriate.

My concern that boys would not be as academic was unfounded. There are also boys in his class that scored max marks but chose the school, so there is just more of a range of abilities - but they have all passed the Kent Test. My son too ,is not top of the class, but doing well. He is particularly enjoying the full range of sports on offer.
Optymum

Post by Optymum »

Yes, I agree with Crispin. We chose TWGSB over Skinners and Judd as we felt it suited our DS more. It has proved a great choice. He is extremely happy there and settled immediately. The homework varies but the key is to keep on top of it. He has made great friends and is doing really well academically and enjoying the new variety of subjects. He is near the top of the class, which for him is a good position, but there are certainly other boys working at those levels too to spur him on! We are very happy; now we are just hoping DS2 can get there too in 2015! :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now