Weald of Kent Grammar proposing to go co-ed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tonbridgemum

Re: Weald of Kent Grammar proposing to go co-ed

Post by tonbridgemum »

Who would you class as a new parent? The new intake in September?

I think the ballot will be close. Out of the 6 or 7 parents I know in various school years only one admits voting against. Admittedly they are all Tonbridge parents who see it as a huge advantage to have a co-ed Grammar in the town.
I guess they aren't looking/thinking much deeper about it so I do agree, parents should have been given more information about the whole scheme.
klmh1968

Post by klmh1968 »

My DD attends a primary school in which the head teacher also runs another school, literally 10mins away. She spends half a day at each school. It is really difficult having a 'part time' head, and the schools are only village schools with DD school having 80 pupils and the partnership approx 120.

DD is due to sit her 11+ this year and in all honesty i would not send my child to WOK if the head teacher is going to divide her time between 2 sites. Obviously WOK have a lot more students than DD and at her school the deputy head takes on a lot of the head teachers role in her absence. I pity the Deputy at WOK!!

Personally i think that the Sevenoaks parents need to look at the bigger picture and not just their wish to have a grammar school in Sevenoaks. In my experience certain Sevenoaks parents would never consider sending their DC to a grammar school that is not SS, why do you think they are tutored for goodness knows how many years for the 11+?
Bev1234

Post by Bev1234 »

I have been a lurker for a while :D. I have two DD at WOK with a third starting in September. I definately would not of choosen WOK if they were co-ed. Girls concentrate so much better without boys, especially in the early years of secondary school, my DD's even agree with this. My girls wanted to go to an all girls school after going to a co-ed primary school, they choose WOK over TOGs for everything it offered and the enviroment. I would be really disappointed if WOK goes co-ed, I know daughter number 4 will definately not be going there!
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

tonbridgemum wrote:Who would you class as a new parent? The new intake in September?

I think the ballot will be close. Out of the 6 or 7 parents I know in various school years only one admits voting against. Admittedly they are all Tonbridge parents who see it as a huge advantage to have a co-ed Grammar in the town.
Yes "New parents" being those who have accepted a place at Weald believing it to be a Girls school yet have had no consultation.

Interesting the girls all had to fill out a survey today .... all the year 7's saying yuk boys and all the older ones saying boys yes please :lol: That's scientific consultation on the schools part !

Isn't it funny how Tonbridge parents think co-ed is a good idea but Sevenoaks (albeit only ones i've spoken to ) think its a bad idea ? Surely the Sevenoaks ones shoud be all for a Grammar here ?
kent mum
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Bev1234 wrote:I have been a lurker for a while :D. I have two DD at WOK with a third starting in September. I definately would not of choosen WOK if they were co-ed. Girls concentrate so much better without boys, especially in the early years of secondary school, my DD's even agree with this. My girls wanted to go to an all girls school after going to a co-ed primary school, they choose WOK over TOGs for everything it offered and the enviroment. I would be really disappointed if WOK goes co-ed, I know daughter number 4 will definately not be going there!

Hello, I too was a lurker for years but this topic has brought me out of the shadows :D

I agree with you completely, and in turn my son is better off at a boys school. I also worry about the roaming head and the general disruption in doubling a school.

So with two girls at wok and one starting in Sept, did you get one vote only ? Are parents of older girls saying the same do you know or is it more mixed higher up. All the year 7 parents i know are livid and sending out letters all over the place.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

For this proposal to get dfe approval I am pretty sure it is more than the head who would have to roam.
Bev1234

Post by Bev1234 »

For the WOK parent consultation you only get 1 form per family. I mentioned on my form that I will have three at WOK in September. I asked my girls last night about the general feeling amongst their friends parents further up the school, they said majority are against the school becoming co-ed. A few with it being their last child in secondary do not care. I fully supported a grammar in Sevenoaks, before I knew this could impact the only non-selective girls grammar in Tonbridge. I feel our choices are being reduced, especially for people that live in the villages surrounding Tonbridge and Sevenoaks.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

Agreed, i too signed the Sevenoaks Grammar petition a while back never thinking for a second it would adversely impact the existing schools.

The stupid thing is it will create no extra places for girls just boys.

So with the projected increase in population (figures seem variable dependent on what side you are on) only grammar suitable boys are being catered for with the new Grammar ??

Unfortunately, as i've said before, i think WOK will proceed as KCC tell them irrespective of the consultation. Fun times ahead.

Togs must be delighted, so many chose WOK even with scores to go to TOGs am thinking that might all begin to change.Shame.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Have you thought of responding to the planning permission application online? KCC/SE/0375/2013. It has not yet been determined so as I understand it you can still comment.

I wouldn't get so worried -- I think this mystery is very mysterious but my instinct tells me that Weald and Invicta would have known that their first proposals to the DfE were going to fail and that Weald knows that this second proposal would fail too.

The planning decision target date was March 17th - we are past that now. Maybe because the planning application was based on such outdated info (e.g. did not refer to the fact that either Weald or Invicta's proposals had failed) they are having to do this quick and sketchy consultation now to enable the planning application to continue? Don't know - I really am speculating here but it does seem to me that each Spring there is some grand and unrealisable plan in the run-up to the May council elections, but one that, to press, has kept many "Sevenoaks wives" :oops: :wink: happy before they tick their ballot papers. In the meantime it also is acting as a spur to keeping the idea that new grammar schools should be permitted on the national political agenda.

When it (inevitably in my view) fails a good fight will be seen to have been put up locally for a new grammar in Sevenoaks, so it won't be anyone in Sevenoaks or Kent to blame, but blame will be laid at the feet of current Conservatives who continue not to allow the creation of new academically selective schools.

But of course, in the meantime, if you don't like the idea it's safest to say so. .... even if you don't have a Weald "ballot paper".
doodles

Post by doodles »

I like your "pawns in the bigger game" theory Mystery, and unfortunately I fear you may be correct.

The planning is, I think, irrelevant if KCC want to do it the planning will go through. There are several monstrosities in the area that are questionable :lol:

Perhaps us "Sevenoaks wives" ( :oops: :?yuk, yuk,yuk) need to revolt.