Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

jayzee1

Re: Missed out by 5 marks...Please help or any advice..

Post by jayzee1 »

Colmans wrote:My understanding from DGSG appeals is that if the child is not at level 5 (comfortably) then the chance of success is unlikely. They are also big into other non accademic accomplishments such as musical instruments, as this also demonstrates a rounded ability.

It seems the bit that gets parents caught out is that KS2 marking can vary from school to school. I'm of the opinion that in the LEA circles, some HTs have much more sucess than others. This could be down to consistency and accuracy of KS2 level workings in their own schools, and maybe even the reputation of the HT. If you have a very experienced HT with many years of appeals, backed by many years of imperical evidence that their pupils have indeed flourished at GS even though they failed 11+, this may carry some weight with appeal boards.

Based on some of the presentations I've seen from school heads in the last few months, some of whom sent me to sleep, i'd fancy your chances for an appeal.

Was 2003/2004 a low birth count for girls? That could also help
Thanks Colmans will contact school again today. .am eager to sit down and discuss this with them. Can't ever get a meeting time there though. Deputy did take dd English book couple of weeks ago..when I asked her about this on Friday just gone she said it was to photocopy work for display....hmm...then I asked if they had kent test results back yet to which she said no we don't get them until Monday 13th Oct..again I have read that school has them at least 2 weeks prior to us getting them. So did they look at dd book and think as she is level 4 it's not worth a hta? Or if she genuinely got kent test results back on Monday 13th did she not have enough time to do hta......Colmans have you been through appeal yourself? Thanks for ur help x
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Jonnyzap wrote:you could also have a look at the Knole Academy Grammar Stream.
Thanks will do.....
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

They may have done a HT appeal for you and it may have been turned down.

I've been through the appeal process - pm me if you want to ask any specific questions.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

twinkles wrote:They may have done a HT appeal for you and it may have been turned down.

I've been through the appeal process - pm me if you want to ask any specific questions.
Thanks twinkles..rang school and secretary dealing with kent test etc said some appeals were put forward but doesn't know if my dd was.....can't tell over phone...waiting for appointment now...hopefully today so.i can find out what's going on....i did call the grammar in my area I want dd to go to....and lady said no one was taken after appeal.....now I am unsure if they are allowed to tell us anything or not.....twinkles was the appeal you did in kent? Any info you can provide will help.....Dd book was taken at beg of Oct so I don't what to read into that....as she is not level 5 across subjects they may have turned her down at hta or perhaps primary did not bother appealing for her....so many unanswered questions...thanks
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Anybody have any positive appeal outcomes please? With similar scores to my dd? Just holding on to hope...Dd missed min pass mark on English with 101..reasoning 111 and maths 106....

Any help or tips are welcomed..appreciate all info already given..thanks
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Have you had a look at the appeals forum there are some successful appeals for Kent schools in the threads http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; No-one will have similar scores to your DD though as its the first time the scores have been done in this way, there are some good threads about near misses though, hope that helps.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

anotherworriedmum wrote:Have you had a look at the appeals forum there are some successful appeals for Kent schools in the threads http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; No-one will have similar scores to your DD though as its the first time the scores have been done in this way, there are some good threads about near misses though, hope that helps.
Yes thank you have looked. Wonder if that's a good thing as kent test changed this year...but pass mark was also lower.....not getting much help from Primary at the moment...thanks for replying
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Jayzee

Not personally but family and friends have with some varying degree of success. There is a lot of great advice on here, as well as other sources on how to log an appeal, and from far more authoritive sources.

As an observer, I would say that unfortunately Dartford is going to be a challenge and that your success could be better at Wilmington. There is some FoI data available which I saw recently which showed the successful appeals for Dartford were very low.

Whilst DGS is not a selective school, its admission policy makes it selective due to it always being heavily oversubscibed. Its oversubscription policy is then to select highest scores locally, plus an allowance for OOC. The reality is that there will be a number of local girls who passsed 11+ who will not get a selection. You are therefore competing with them, as well as others who did not pass. e.g A boy in my DD class failed even though he scored over 360 as his maths score was 105, and I'm sure there will be many girls with similar stories.

If you live in Dartford area, but also closer to Gravesend, Mayfield may be a better alternative as this is generally undersubscribed, and so appeal places are more successful. This is one of the reasons why Mayfield had their own test this year as they wanted a wider test for girls that was more weighted to literacy and writing as opposed to Maths in the Kent test. I've no idea whether this will now fill the places locally with the combined options.

If you really dont think that the school head or representation is going to do you any favours, get the best advice you can today from someone who has a track record in this area. Dont leave it to chance.
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Thanks Colmans..just saw class teacher who said she would support appeal and I am seeing deputy on Monday. Class teacher said they did some hta but not my daughter. Now I assume this is because dd just got the minimum score maths 106 reasoning 111 and missed English by 5..she got 101. Also she is currently level 4 across subjects.....no idea why they didn't appeal apart from the 2 reasons just mentioned. Also last year a year 5 teacher who should have taken my dd class didn't come in September and instead the whole class was taught by a higher level teaching assistant for the year...don't know if I can use this information in any way to help case....clutching at straws.....i can imagine dartford girls is hard to appeal for..where can i see the date you mentioned foi for Dggs appeals? Thanks
Colmans

Post by Colmans »

Google Freedom of Information appeal data for Dartford. If you cant find it, then you can request it yourself as they should respond within 21 days.

Regarding the music playing, has she taken any formal exams?